Chapter 26: Someone You Loved

Wailing.

In or out of the ambulance surging through the roads at breath-taking speed, the sound of wailing was sending shivers down everyone's spines.

Outside, the people would take a collective sharp breath whenever the ambulance would pass, feeling suffocated by the implications behind seeing an emergency vehicle on the road.

The wails of the sirens held the utmost urgency, driving the ambulance to move at an aggressive speed unlike that of any other vehicle on the road. They were demanding, far from a polite request for every other vehicle to move out of the way.

With the blue lights ablaze, there was some added intensity to the quiet, stormy night.

But, this was a life or death situation, for someone in that ambulance was getting closer to Death's doorstep with every passing second.

Beyond the wailing of the siren, the paramedics and the ballet couple were being jostled slightly as the ambulance moved. Through the roar of the engines, all Ye Jin could hear was the sound of her shallow breathing as she clutched tightly at her boyfriend's hand.

Above them, the rain landed heavily on the roof of the ambulance, with every raindrop hitting the earth like bullets. The stormy sky filled with bolts of lightning held much ferocity, its booms echoing deep in everyone's heart, threateningly as though it was the end of the world.

She didn't know how this happened.

All Ye Jin knew was that one minute she was waving at Hyun Bin and the next, she was sprawled on the floor, across from where she was standing with a loud, vicious, beeping sounding off in the distance.

She had felt around for her boyfriend then, her heart thumping rapidly in her chest as her hands searched frantically for that familiarity amongst the foreign murmurs around her.

She knew then that they were on a road. The choking stench of exhaust fumes mixed with the metallic smell of blood, only confirmed that there was an accident. If there was anything she was familiar with, it was the horrid smell of the aftermath of a car accident.

Hyun Bin...he had saved her. In her vague memories of what happened, she remembered someone clutching tightly at her wrist and pulling her away from the incoming car. The ghost of that soul-shattering touch was familiar, lingering on her skin as his touch always does to her.

This time, that touch only made Ye Jin feel worse about herself. Now, she was holding onto Hyun Bin's hand, but it lacked the warmth it usually emanated as he remained unconscious in the moving vehicle. The hand in hers was limp, far from how he would usually hold on tightly to hers.

"Hyun Bin, please." Ye Jin begged for the umpteenth time.

Yet, every time her pleas remained unanswered, her heart only fell more.

None of this would have happened if she stayed by his side. How foolish was she to have wandered off alone?

"I'm sorry, please don't leave me." Ye Jin was absolutely crushed with despair.

She didn't know how badly Hyun Bin was injured. At that moment, Ye Jin desperately wished she could see Hyun Bin's face, even if it was battered and bruised. All she needed was that assurance that he was still alive and breathing.

To the paramedics in the ambulance, all they could read of the situation was a foreigner very much distraught over her lover. It didn't take them long to figure out the girl was blind, and the hopelessness seeping out of her very being caused their hearts to ache.

This whole experience must be incredibly disconcerting to her and they had no way to communicate with her. Instead, one of them wordlessly handed her a bottle of water right as the ambulance turned into the hospital.