Chapter 12 Falling like the Stars

Song for the first part of the chapter: Dig Deep by Backstage Cast

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Years of running, couldn't stop, too afraid to sleep. Mind stays busy, eyes stay low, look but never leap. And then you taught me. And then you...

The sound of music blended nicely with the sounds of laughing children almost like a polyphony. Sunshine lit up every corner of the park, peeking through the thick foliage of green leaves stretched over the heads of the early-risers.

Butterflies flew from flower to flower, fluttering around the green foliage uncaringly. They were a dance of colours, born to fly and bless nature with their delicate beauty. The iridescent glow of their paper-like wings against the golden threads of light was enchanting to those who were watching.

Dig deep and don't be afraid. Dig deep and live. Dig deep and don't be afraid. Dig deep and live every day.

The street musicians' voices caressed the ears of those walking in the park, shedding light and hope to even the weariest soul. It was a soothing way to start a morning especially in a busy city like Seoul.

Ye Jin took a deep breath, feeling the earthy and refreshing tones of nature breathe life into her. Rose barked happily at the cool morning mist, sniffing and taking in the new sounds around her. It was clear that her doggy friend preferred the park over the noisy roads. 

Ye Jin understood Rose well. She too missed the sereneness of the countryside. The park was the closest imitation to what they got to experience on a daily basis at home.

Yet, today, their morning was far from quiet for Hyo Jin decided to join them for the morning walk. It was rare that her friend was up this early but she sacrificed that one hour of sleep after Ye Jin asked her if they could talk. Being the good friend she was, she knew that her friend desperately needed someone to talk to and so, here they were...

In a park.

At the ungodly hour of 8 am.

Lord help her survive the day.

"Yej! Slow down." Hyo Jin trudged after her, eyes narrowed tiredly at the blaring sun.

For someone who only lost one hour of sleep, Hyo Jin looked like a zombie with the eye bags and how she was practically dragging herself as they walked. On the other hand, Ye Jin's footsteps were light and her friend was smiling radiantly at being around nature even in the early morning.

How could someone be this awake at 8 am?!

"Okay, Hyo Jin." Ye Jin giggled softly, slowing down her strides so that her friend could catch up.

Moving at a snail pace around the park, Hyo Jin finally caught her breath and decided to get down to business. "So...you and Mr Hyun eh?"

Ye Jin froze instantly at Hyo Jin's words. How did she...how on earth did she find out before she could say anything? "I-how?" Ye Jin stammered nervously.

"Didn't he announce it in class yesterday, Yej? The duet?" Hyo Jin clarified, confused as to why her friend looked so pale all of the sudden.

"Are you alright, Yej?" Hyo Jin checked when Ye Jin stayed silent.

"I...oh yes. The duet. It's going well. I'm meeting Mr Hyun tonight for rehearsal." Ye Jin laughed it off, trying her best to maintain her composure.