030 ↠ à la Rebecca style

The following morning Ophelia asked Clint if they could talk

The following morning Ophelia asked Clint if they could talk. She wanted to talk away from the eavesdroppers so they're walking outside, everything wet from last night's rain. Petrichor in the air, the sky still gloomy, puddles all around and a chilly breeze. They slowly walked down the sidewalk, leaving the house behind them, and Clint nursed hot coffee from a Kiki's Delivery travel mug.

Clint enjoys the family's variety of mugs and cups. A mermaid tale mug, a toilet shaped mug, mugs that have ceramic animals at the bottom so when you drink you can slowly see the animal peeking from underneath the beverage. Clint took a sip of coffee and glanced over at Ophelia who has her hands stuffed in her jacket, a small crease between her eyebrows as she thought of something. He doesn't know what she wants to talk about but whatever it is seems important if she doesn't want others to overhear.

They walked in silence until they reached the end of the block, Clint glanced at Ophelia again, following her lead. Are they going to cross or turn?

They crossed.

Clint took another sip of coffee.

"Ben called me" Ophelia abruptly said.

"He called you? On your phone?" Clint furrowed his brow.

"No. He contacted me by messenger pigeon" she sarcastically said.

"When did he call you?"

Ophelia sighed and shrugged. "He's been calling me for the past couple of days but it was a blocked number so I didn't know it was him until I answered yesterday just before I finished the sauce"

"Oh. What did he say?"

"He just said Ollie. He's the only person who calls me that" she explained.

"That's all he said?" Clint questioned. He has a feeling that was all he was able to say because by what Ophelia has told him, Ben is literally the last person in the universe she would want to see.

"I- he was just..." She groaned, her hands clenching into fists inside her pockets. "I was so mad when I heard his voice. In six years that was the first time he contacted me, and everything just came back. All the anger and sadness and frustration I felt when he left, I felt it again in that moment. And all I could do was yell 'fuck you Benvolio' and hang up"

"Wow" Clint said in amusement. That exchange sounds on brand for Ophelia.

"Yeah" she breathed out. They came to the corner and crossed again.

"Did he try calling you again overnight?" She shook her head and mumbled 'no'. Clint asked her how she's feeling. She gave him an honest answer, not really sure but the anger from yesterday is still lingering, but there's also sadness.

"I woke up and I was sad more than angry" she told him.

She misses him, but she's furious with him.