Chapter Nineteen

|{Omniscient}|

Qani sighed and rubbed his forehead. 'Exhaustion' and 'frustration' could not even begin to describe how he was currently feeling.
Rio had freaked out and locked himself in the bedroom, where he still was over half an hour later.
Untop of all that Quila was still being hella dramatic and bombarding him with questions, questions that were none of her business he might add.

"I'm talking to you, acting like I'm not here isn't going to make that your reality." Quila rolled her neck dramatically, pacing from one corner to another. "I just need some sort of explanation because, how..."

Qani let out a loud frustrated grunt and said, "Can you just shut the fuck up and go please? I think you've done enough. I could do without all the yapping right now, Ri is traumatized incase you haven't noticed. That's all I'm tryna deal with."

"I'm traumatized! Aren't you?"

"What I gotta be traumatized about? Move!" He snapped, losing his patience. "And leave my gaddam keys."

Quila huffed, beyond furious at how unfazed Qani was acting after scarring her for life, what her eyes saw tonight her mind would never forget, and here he was not giving a fuck.

After glaring at Q a little longer the teenage girl huffed and started to storm off, until Qani sighed and stopped her. "You need a ride?" He asked. That's the baby of the house at the end of the day, the one he tries not to cuss around, and even though he had zero patience for her bullshit at the moment, he still wanted her to be safe.

"Yeah." She answered, looking down all sad.

"Aight take my keys and go wait in the car, we'll be down in a minute."

Quila nodded, grabbed the keys from the table and headed outside. This wasn't exactly the way she'd envisioned this day going at all, she'd planned out the whole thing, Qani always went all out for her birthday and she wanted to return the favor, but never in her wildest dreams did she imagine this would happen. She wasn't even sure how to feel for real.
On one hand she'd always found Qani and Rio's closeness a bit odd, but she never once thought this was possible. What the entire heck had she witnessed? OMG. She would gladly wash her eyes with bleach if she thought it would help...but unfortunately nothing ever could.
Even as she got into the car and rested her back against the broad black leather seat, she wished above all else that she had listened to her boyfriend and had called ahead.

Upstairs, Qani continued to beg Rio to open the door and come out. They'd gotten series of calls from their parents who were at grandpa Ty's house awaiting his and Ri's arrival for an urgent family meeting. There was only so much time they could waste before his pops led the squad here to cause a scene. Qani could only imagine his dad's reaction right now, doing the most and saying things without thinking them through as always. But all of that could easily be avoided if only Rio would just come out from the fucking room.

"Baby come on, how long you planning on staying in there?"

"Forever." Ri mumbled more to himself but Qani still heard him.

Qani snorted, then sank down to the floor with his back against the door. "Forever huh? Your hungry ass not gon last 5 hours." As if on cue Rio's stomach grumbled. "See? Fat ass."

Rio glared at the brown steel door as though the intensity of his sight would pierce through the metal and make a difference. Upon realizing that's unlikely he sighed and rested his back on his side of the door as well.

Rio's heart raced with a mixture of fear and embarrassment. He was now dressed in Qani's clothes but he still felt naked and ashamed. The memory of his parent's facial expressions when they saw him like that would hunt him forever. How could he possibly ever look any of them in the eye again? If he could get past Qani he'd run and keep running until his feet hurt. He'd go seek refuge in the woods and become one with nature. How hard could it be to hunt for food and make clothes out of leaves? People do it...right?