Chapter Twenty-Five

|{TJ/Harlem/Qani/Rio}|

-TJ-

"Hello."

"I'm putting niggas on you 24/7 from now till further notice, all the shit that's popping off with Ring out the mix, heat is gon fall on you." My dad said into the phone without preamble, like it ain't 6 in the morning.

"I don't need it." I managed to say, how the words formed still a mystery seeing as ma ass still sleep.

"I don't care what you think you need or don't need. They already in position."

"Ion need random niggas on my heels all day pops. I can handle ma own shit."

He scoffed in that way he does that's unexplainable, but efficiently imposing. "You think this a debate, but you wrong. You gon have them niggas behind you all day for as long as i deem fit, or Imma lock your ass up in my office, your choice gangsta."

"Whatever. Fine."

I honestly don't care either way. I was just trying to protect them niggas because if they talk to me I might just shoot em in they face. But since my pops insist Imma do what he wants, they funeral.
At least I tried to save them, I'm out here looking out for folks. Not all heroes wear cape.

"You still there?" My dad's words pierced through my thoughts. But this time his voice sounded softer, almost like how he used to sound when I was a kid. Which was the last time I liked the man.

"Yeah."

"What you got going on today?"

"Ion know yet, it's 6 in the morning."

"Well let me know when you do. I wanna spend some time with you, it's been a while. Can you stop by my office later?"

I had to pull my phone away from my ears for a second just to make sure I was hearing right. Ma dad haven't tried to do anything with me in years, why now?

"Are you dying on sum?" I asked in genuine concern.

"What? Why I gotta be dying to wanna spend time with ma kid?"

I shrugged as if he could see me.

"So, what's it gonna be?"

"Ion know pops, we live in the same house. How bout I just see you at breakfast instead?"

He hung up.

I pulled the covers over myself and went back to sleep, this better not be a weird ass day.

I found my papa in the kitchen by himself when I got back up hours later. It was like 10:42am and I was hungry and surprisingly still sleepy.

"Good morning." I greeted, heading straight to the fridge.

"Good morning sleepyhead. You know what day it is, are you excited?" Ma papa asked cheerfully.

He sounds too happy and it's so early, ion like that. And no, I don't know what day it is, and I'm not excited. What I want is some food. Preferably something sweet.

Rummaging through the refrigerator I hummed in response. "Do we have any cake?"

"No. But we have some chocolate chip cookies if you want a snack. And I made you a plate, check in the microwave."

Yo if I had the energy or interest I would've hugged him right now, but instead I nodded in gratitude and went straight for the microwave.

He laughed and shook his head, then continued what he was doing while I ate.