Chapter Twenty-One

|{Rio'Quinn Martinez}|

The month went by quickly. People were starting to talk about them around the hood, but Rio's papi told him to ignore the noise. They always ate lunch together, when he could bear to keep anything down. Every day after work, his papi would wait for him outside his class and then drive him home, he did that till winter break, thank God because Rio was tired of school. He was tired of everything really.

"Why are you so bothered by this?" Rio heard his papi ask, annoyance evident in his voice. He could hear their voices all the way from their bedroom, that was how loudly they were speaking.

"You just don't get it!" His pops responded harshly.

"Yeah you keep saying that but you're not telling me why? What's really going on? Cos incase you haven't noticed our son is falling apart!"

Rio groaned and put his AirPods back on.
All his parents did these days was fight and he hated it, he hated it so fucking much. They never fought before. All his life he never heard them so much as raise their voices, but now they stayed arguing, and it's all Rio's fault. If they weren't arguing about him, they were arguing about the ongoing war between his papi and those Bell people. All of which were his fault.
He just wanted it all to stop, he wanted things to be the way they were. He missed everything, and everyone.

But most of all he missed Qani.

This was officially the longest he'd ever gone without speaking to, or seeing Qani, and it was weighing on him big time. Rio hardly ate, never got out of bed, and he has barely talked to anyone in four weeks. Not to mention he'd lost a significant amount of weight.
He felt sick and more depressed than he'd ever been.
Empty was how he felt without Qani, empty and sick.

His aunt Marie's wedding is in a couple of days, which means he'd be seeing everyone for the first time in a month.
And by everyone he means Qani James.

He honestly would get out of it if he could, but his aunt would literally beat his ass if he tried it. She was flying back all the way from Greece just be her married around family, that's a big deal, and Rio wouldn't want to disappoint her. But then again that's how he knew Qani would be there as well, he wouldn't wanna disappoint her either, no matter how mad he was.

A soft knock on the door had him wondering who it was. His head was buried under the blanket so he couldn't see. At first he thought it was his papi, then Raina and Mariana crossed his mind. But he knew for a fact who it was when he felt himself recoil upon hearing the voice.

"Can you come down for breakfast please?" His pops asked in a voice Rio couldn't quite figure out. It sounded defeated in a way, but guess what? He didn't give a shit.

"I'm not hungry."

There was a moment of silence, and for a minute he hoped his pops had taken the hint and left. But instead Rio felt the side of the bed dip, indicating that someone had sat down on it.

"Can we talk for a minute?"

"I don't wanna talk dad, I just wanna be left alone. Please."

"Look son, I'm trying to explain why I'm b..."

"Please just leave me alone. Go away."

Rico stood there a little longer not sure wether to insist or leave... eventually he left.

When Rio was sure his pops had left he took out his phone and went to the photo library to look at pictures of Qani. 80% of the photos in Rio's phone were either that of Qani, or of them together.