Essences, "Enemies", and Endings

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.

It was hard to believe that the week was almost up; it had been a few days since the Hosu incident, and tomorrow was going to be the last day of internships. Both (F/N) and I were told earlier that the last day was going to be brutal, since we'd have to head back home after staying up all night, and would have to force ourselves to continue to stay up until it got dark, so that we would get to sleep at a "normal" time, in order to correct our nocturnal schedules to diurnal schedules.

That was surely going to be a basket of fun. And then we have to go to school with one night of "normal" sleep! Yay!

On the topic of something much less exhausting to think about, I had been keeping my promise to my parents to avoid going on any patrols until I was fully rested; most of my time was spent either practicing my pole-fighting, or learning about how to detect when something is off around you, and how to avoid being detected yourself. A lot of stealthy stuff!

However, just spending all my time in a safe place wasn't going to cut it when trying to become a hero, so, of course, it was this night that was going to be my second shot at going on a patrol.

Though, unlike the previous one, it was going to be much shorter, leaving me with some free time before and after it.

Audio and Video had stated that they didn't want us to be completely exhausted before sending us back home.

And that was probably a smart idea. Figuring out what trains we need to go on when tired is not an easy job...! Or a safe one, to be perfectly honest!

So, here I was, around the time that the sun was setting, trying to find my way to my desired destination.

There was a certain sidekick that I wanted to talk with, but I had been unable to find him the past few days, so I hoped I would be able to find him in his room tonight. What are the chances of him not being there? Probably higher than I think, but it's still worth a shot to check there again, just in case...

I was by myself, having convinced (F/N) earlier to not keep a constant hold on my arm, making the case that this place was one of the safest places we could be right now, and it was highly unlikely that anything dangerous was going to happen here. That only lead to me having to promise him that he could reattach himself to my arm the very moment that I took my first step out of the building. A small price to pay for freedom right now...

As for his current whereabouts, I think that he was practicing his locating skills by using the clocks that we had used a bit earlier when training for the sports festival; that seemed to be the main method of training his ears' ability to locate and detect where sound was coming from, as even his father used them a lot in his training.

Perhaps I should look into getting a few clocks we could use nearer to home, but that might be expensive.

Even the smallest of prices can add up quickly if you aren't paying attention. And I'm not made of money here!

Refocusing on the hallway in front of me, I continued to walk down it, and let my eyes scan over the plaques that were near the doors, before finding the one I was looking for. This place is way more confusing than I first thought...

As I raised my hand to the door, I gave a few knocks to the piece of wood, making sure to make them loud.

With how sleep-deprived some of the people here can be, it was important to make a ruckus to get their attention, or it may just pass in one ear and out the other for them. At the very least, it seemed like a majority of them were light sleepers, which made sense, given that they probably had to be waken up quickly to report for duty.