No Time to Relax

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.

A smile was on my face, which I was finding to be an improvement compared to the nervous expression I normally had when around anyone that wasn't either (F/N), his parents, or my immediate family; just having a smile on my face made me feel more confident, and certainly was helping to give off the vibe that I was hoping my peers were feeling.

In fact, it made me feel as if I was brave enough to ask to join Midoriya and his friends if we could go eat with them, which was an action that had shocked (F/N) to the deepest parts of his core.

I was already very aware of his plans to try and get into Midoriya's new friend group, but that would take a while.

Luckily, I had all the right skills and motivations to speed the process up. And, also, I don't have the nervous baggage of being Midoriya's old childhood friend, so, of course, it's gonna be easier for me compared to (F/N)...

That's what lead to now, where (F/N) and I were walking to the lunchroom with Midoriya, Uraraka, and Iida.

It was more of me walking as I dragged along a stumbling (F/N), but it still counted as we were with the trio of friends, which was the only criteria I was using to mark a success in social interaction. Of course, I'm still kinda nervous, but things seem to be going well... so, that's good, right?

"Hey, Uraraka?" Midoriya asked, catching the pink-cheeked girl's attention.

Uraraka smiled at him, her determination having calmed down a few moments earlier. "What's up?"

"Why did you decide to come to U.A.?" Midoriya asked, my attention being caught by his question as well, "What made you wanna be a Pro-Hero?"

The pink-cheeked girl tensed up, seeming a bit uncomfortable with the question. "Oh, well... because... for the money."

Our journey came to an abrupt stop from Uraraka's answer, and my eyes widened in disbelief. For the money? That was not the answer I was expecting, to be perfectly honest... at least, not from her! Someone else, sure, but her? No way! Sure, I may not know her that well, but money was the last thing I expected!

"For the money?" Midoriya repeated, clear shock on his face as he stared at Uraraka, "You wanna be a hero so you can get rich?"

"If we're cutting to the chase-" Uraraka rubbed the back of her head nervously. "-then yeah."

Her smile quickly fell as she turned away from her two friends, her expression now apologetic. "I'm sorry if it sounds greedy! You two have such admirable motivations... I hope you don't think less of me now."

"Not at all." Iida began making large and wide gestures with his arms, which was almost enough to make me laugh if it wasn't for the specific topic we were discussing. "Your goal is to support your well-being, which is a perfectly admirable ambition to have!"

Midoriya hummed in agreement. "It's just kinda surprising."

A short moment of silence passed, before Uraraka let out a quiet sigh. "Well, you see... my family owns a construction company, but we haven't gotten any work lately, so we're flat broke. Anyway, this isn't really something I usually tell other people, but..."

If I were to be honest right now, it kind of felt like (F/N) and I were being ignored, but I wasn't sure on what to say while in the middle of a conversation like this, mostly because I was prepared for a conversation that was a little more... fun.

And, additionally, it seemed like (F/N) snapped out of his nervous stupor, but was also uncomfortable saying anything.

This felt wrong, to be hearing about another person's familial troubles, but we'd make sure to keep it a secret.