fifty seven

Charlotte Thompson

Charlotte Thompson

Please be alive. Please god. He needs her to be alive.

Those words silently repeated in my head. I was holding his torso tightly as he sped, wishing with all my might that his mother was alive.

He explained to me what the note said, how he thinks it's connected to Malone, and how he needs to at least try to see if she is still there.

I get it, but I'm worried about the outcome if we get there and she's not alive. It'll break him even more. It already broke my heart to see him run out of that house in tears.

I'm angry for him. Malone has been apart of his life for longer than he thought, controlling things when he had no right to. He's ruined Harry's life and his well being and I'm seething because of it.

Harry stopped the bike at the lake after about a twenty minute ride, looking around for the cottage.

I got off the bike, taking my helmet off and looking around at the ducks in the pond and the lush trees surrounding it.

I feel him quickly grasp my hand, making me look to him and see that he was pointing. "It's right there." he says, making me follow his eye line to the cottage that was maybe 100 feet away tucked in some trees.

Then we started running, and I became so anxious for him. The cottage was small and looked like something from a fairytale. It was the only structure around this lake, almost hidden by the grove of trees.

The perfect hiding spot for a woman who's family was threatened.

Harry kept a grip on my hand and ran us up to the narrow cobblestone walkway that lead to the door.

We stand at the end of it, but before he can walk in I pull his hand back to make him halt and he looks back at me.

"Are you sure about this?" I ask him quietly.

He furrows his brow. "What? Of course I am. I need to go in there—"

"Harry," I pull him back again when he goes to walk, "I just wanna make sure you're okay."

He didn't say much after he found the note, and if we go in this cottage and his mother isn't there...I'm afraid of what that'll do to him. It's gonna destroy him even if he doesn't show it.

He looks at me for a moment, running his tongue across his bottom lip before nodding. "I'm okay."

His under eyes were a bit puffy from when he was crying before, and his eyelashes were still a bit wet and his eyes themselves were red.

I nod back and give his hand a squeeze as he looks back at the cottage. He exhales deeply out of his mouth before taking some steps forward. His fingers were interlocked with mine for support.