one

Charlotte Thompson

Life is so generic.

It becomes a routine...a routine that you can't fucking break no matter how hard you try.

Wake up. Go to school. Get a job. Grow up. Go to sleep. Repeat until death. That's how this whole 'life' thing works and people just choose to accept it. They don't question it. They don't object it. It's robotic.

It's insanity.

And it's the reason that I'm laying in my bed, going absolutely stir crazy as I stare at the ceiling.

It's summer. I just graduated high school. I'm 18 years old, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

"Charlotte!" my mom's voice rings from downstairs. I blow out a puff of air and swing my legs off of my bed, heading towards the stairs.

I walk into the kitchen where my mom and dad were. My mom was setting plates on the table where my dad sat, reading some book. Same old, same old. This is how it was everyday.

My little sister, Rosie, prances into the kitchen, racing right past me.

Rosie was my pride and joy. She was 9, and pretty much a smaller mirror image of me. Dark brown hair, hazel eyes, and freckles. She was the one thing I'd protect fiercely.

"Actually, mom..." I mumble, cracking my knuckles. "I have plans."

My mom freezes, then looks at me with her hand on her hip. My dad peeks up from his book. "Plans? What plans? Why am I just finding out about these plans?" my mom asks.

"I'm sorry, I meant to tell you earlier. I'm going to Zoe's."

I'm not going to Zoe's.

Zoe is my best friend. We met in 2nd grade, in the sandbox of our elementary school playground. She was the loner, I was the loser. We clicked pretty fast. Most of my first time experiences have been with her. I don't smoke a lot at all, but the first time I ever did was with her. I was also with her the first time I got drunk. And, funnily enough, she was my first kiss. It didn't mean anything, and I didn't feel anything when it happened...but not a lot of people get to say that their 'BFF' was their first kiss.

But, like I said, I'm not going to Zoe's.

I had other ideas for how I was going to spend my night. There was a sort of 'club' that was pretty underground. Not a lot of people knew about it. The bartender is Zoe's brother, so that's usually how I get in.

It was a place where I could go to just escape for a little bit. I didn't even have to take any sort of substance to do so. I could just sit and enjoy the feeling of the floor pulsating from the electronic music.

It might sound like some sob story. But it really isn't. I'm not depressed. I don't hate my life. It's nothing like that. It's just that being young and following these formalities and rules can be a lot on a person. It's nice to pretend it doesn't exist for a little.

"Well," my mom sighs. "I want you home by midnight. Not a moment later." she scolds.

I nod with my lips pressed into a line.