thirty one

Charlotte Thompson

I tried my best to stay awake and wait for Harry, I really did. But I ended up crashing at around midnight.

He always had an extra key card into my room, so it's not like I had to stay up to let him in.

All I could really hope for was that he did come to my room.

It was a few hours later when I heard my door open. Because of my sleeping state, I woke up with a slight startle and jolted up in the bed.

"It's me." I hear the familiar low voice speak, closing the door behind his darkened figure.

I breathe in relief and lay back down, facing the direction he was standing. The lights were off so I couldn't see his distinct features but I was able to see the outline of his body walking towards my bed.

He walks around the bed, behind me, and slips his jeans off before climbing in. I stay with my back to him as I feel him getting himself comfortable.

"How did the night go?" I ask.

"Fine. We got into his safe and got his money, that's all that matters." Harry explains in a low and raspy voice. His throat sounded a bit scratchy, like he'd been coughing.

I was too tired to carry a conversation right now, and I'm sure he felt the same way.

I felt his body move closer to mine, his arm now resting across my hip.

"Goodnight, Harry."

"Night, Cherry."

My eyes slowly flutter open once a small beam of light floods through them. I blink a couple times to adjust to the illumination filling half the room.

I look ahead of me, across the suite to see the main bathroom door open with the light on. I turn my head to look beside me and see that Harry's presence is no longer occupying his side of the bed. He must be in the bathroom.

I look up at the clock that was hanging up on the wall, right above the tv. It was approaching 8 in the morning.

I rub my eyes a little and shift in the bed so that I was sitting up against the headboard.

My body wasn't tired anymore, and now that I was awake I would probably just be up for the day now.

I stretch my arms, feeling my muscles tighten a bit as I wake up. I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and walk towards the washroom. I knew Harry was in there but I wanted to brush my teeth before he tried to talk to me.

My feet shuffle along the rich carpet of the suite, hearing running water as I approach the bathroom, indicating that Harry was taking a shower.

I step into the black tiled room, seeing the glass door had the shower curtain on the outside pulled across it.

"Harry?" I shout from outside.

"I-I'll be out in a few minutes." he says over the running water.

I grab my toothbrush from the counter, running it under the tap to wet it before putting toothpaste on the bristles. I put it in my mouth, tasting the mint from the toothpaste as I brush my teeth and tongue. I finish and look myself in the mirror, taking my hair out of the ponytail I had slept in and massaging my scalp a little so the kinks in my hair shaped themselves out.

I step out of the bathroom, shutting the door behind me and walking over to my suitcase that I had just placed next to the bed. I grab a large red hoodie that was one of the items Harry had put in my wardrobe when he took me. The hoodie slips over my body and falls right above my knees, a warm cotton material that would keep me warm until the sun was out later.