nine

Charlotte Thompson

It's been a week. He's had me locked in this house for a week.

He comes and he goes, committing unspeakable acts of crime. I don't know how much longer I can take it.

I miss my family, although I don't know if they're dead or alive. Harry won't tell me.

I can't even make conversation with him, he's always so cold towards me. it's not that I expected him to be nice, but it can't hurt him to not be a total asshole all of the time.

I was laying in bed, thoughts reeling through my mind. I found that my mouth was dry, so I got up to go and get some water because I figured that Harry was asleep and in his bedroom.

I tiptoe down the stairs, trying not to wake Harry up if he was asleep. As I get closer to the kitchen, I notice that the light was on.

Fuck.

It was too late to turn back now, because he had already noticed me.

"Charlotte?" his voice spoke quietly.

"Uh, yeah. Hi." I say awkwardly as I shuffle my feet into the kitchen. Harry was sitting on one of the stools at the counter. There was a beer in front of him, his hands were in his hair.

He looked sort of...stressed.

"I just needed some water." I clarify, just in case he thought I was in here for him.

He nods, taking a sip from his beer.

"What are you doing awake?" I ask, filling up a glass with water from the fridge. It was almost midnight.

"Work." he says.

I scoff under my breath. "What kind of work could you possibly be doing? You're a criminal."

He glances up at me. "A lot of work goes into what I do, baby."

Everytime he calls me that name I cringe. I'm not his 'baby'.

"Well, explain it to me. Because to me it just sounds like you kill people. There can't be much behind the scenes work for that." I take a sip from my glass, letting the cool liquid coat my throat.

"It doesn't really concern you, Cherry. Now, go back upstairs and sleep. You've got shit to do tomorrow."

I roll my eyes. "It's not like I'm actually gonna get any sort of rest as long as I'm here."

He stops and looks up at me. "Have you not slept since you've been here?"

I shrug. "Not much."

He huffs and pushes himself off of his stool, storming past me and out of the kitchen.

What the hell is he doing.

He comes back seconds later with his palm opened, stopping beside me.

In his palm was a small white pill.

"Take it." he says.

I hesitate. I didn't want to take unlabeled pills, especially from him. "W-what is it?"

"It's a sleeping pill. It'll help." he says, grabbing my hand and placing the pill in my own palm and closing my fingers around it.

"Take it, because if you don't get some rest then you'll start to get sleep deprived."

I sigh and turn away, heading back to my room. I had no intention of taking this pill. He could easily be lying to me and this pill could be something dangerous.