four

Charlotte Thompson

His voice remained in my head. The sound of him calling me 'Cherry' haunted me.

You could say I was paranoid. I'd look over my shoulder when I was alone. I'd look out my window at night to make sure no one was there.

Zoe was missing.

She's been missing since she ran. I didn't know if she was dead or alive.

God, I hope she's not dead.

I haven't even had the time to search for her, or try to contact her, because the day after the mall fiasco happened, my mother tasked me with watching Rosie for the day while she and my dad went out.

Honestly, I didn't really mind. Rosie and I always had fun when it was just us. We have a really special bond. It wasn't like she was a wild child that I had to maintain.

She came downstairs from her bedroom, still in her pink pajamas from the night before. Her long messy hair swayed as she pranced into the living room where I was sitting on my phone.

"Where's mom and dad?" she paused, looking around.

"They're out. You're stuck with me." I say, making her smile brightly.

She hops on the couch next to me, legs crossed with her back straight. I grab the remote and turn the television on.

"Robbery at the Townsgrove Mall. Police have estimated around 13 casualties, and 30 injuries."

I widen my eyes and immediately flip to another channel. I wanted this type of news to not invade Rosie's impressionable mind. She's only nine. She doesn't have to see this stuff.

"Cherry, weren't you at the mall yesterday?" she asks. I avoid looking at her, keeping my head straight at the TV.

"Uh," I clear my throat. "Y-yeah. I left before that happened though." I lie.

"Did you meet your friend, Harry, there?" she asks again.

My chest tightens at the mention of his name.

"Don't talk about him, Rosie." I say.

She tilts her head. "Why?"

"Because. He's not my friend."

"But yesterday he said-"

"Why don't you pick a movie to watch and I'll go make us some food." I cut her off. I couldn't talk about Harry without thinking about everything that happened. It was really scary and I wasn't over it at all.

I hand Rosie the remote and stand up from the couch, walking around it to the kitchen which basically overlooked the living room, so I could still see what Rosie was doing.

I search the pantries and fridge, then decide on making pancakes. Simply because that's all I know how to make.

I never said I was good at cooking.

I grab everything I need. Milk. Eggs. Sugar. Etcetera. I lay them all out on the kitchen counter and grab a large mixing bowl.

I dump the right amount of flower in, then add the eggs. But, suddenly, there's a knock on the door.

I furrow my brows, I have no idea who'd be knocking at our door right now.

Rosie jumps up. "I'll get it!" she exclaims, running out of the living room before I could stop her.

I just let her go, because it was probably just the mailman or the neighbors.

I mean, who else would it be?