Chapter 42

*Hey everyone, sorry this is late! I'm having a crazy week between interviews and then graduation commencement on Saturday but after this week I will have a lot more time to write.*

ERYK'S POV:

Even though I felt better about convincing Charlie not to move, I had been tossing and turning still, trying to figure out a way to deliver the news of military school to Cody. He was sound asleep in the closet and has been utterly silent since he bursted in here a few hours ago to apologize after his punishment. I still don't know what to think of that.

"I hope he didn't lock it." I said to myself as I climbed out of bed to tread across the fragile wooden floor to the closet.

Opening the door carefully, I could see that he was still asleep on his stomach with his arms tightly gripping the sides of his pillow. There was dried residual from his tears sticking on his lower cheek and chin. It wasn't the first time he had cried himself to sleep after a punishment, especially not one from Charlie, and I doubt this will be the last. Cody is an introvert at its finest, but man can he be as stubborn as a bull.

I took the blanket from his body and threw it on the floor just a few inches from his bed frame. Turning him to his side facing the wall,  I easily slid my hands under his side and picked him up, dipping his head low so I would not hit it against the door frame. Even thought the thought did cross my mind.

"Alright buddy, come on." I whispered as I placed him gently on his bed, putting the pillow under his head and covering him.

The door creak open slowly, just enough to have Cody shudder and I shield my eyes from the hallway light.

"What're you doing?" Charlie asked as he leaned against the door frame.

"I got him out of the closet and wanted to put him in bed."

He nodded and then reminisced in how peacefully Cody looked in his blissful sleep.

"When will you tell him? If you want me there with you then I will make sure I am."

"No, I'll tell him. Tomorrow." I looked down to his face, instantly feeling a drop in my stomach. "Maybe, probably not."

Charlie smiled slightly, but then inhaled sharply and began nodding in thought. "Well, I have some chores for him to do tomorrow and he needs to get them finished before his next punishment."

I looked up at him instantly. Honestly, I did not think Charlie was serious about that...I thought he only used it as leverage to get Cody to comply for the first one. I've had a multiple punishment from Charlie before, but mine was only for three days after he caught me driving the riding lawn mower around. Which I crashed into the old tree out back. Thankfully there was no serious damage to it, otherwise I don't know if I'd be here right now.

"Can't you just let him go...?"

"No, I need to get through to him. Discipline is something he needs to learn, especially if he is going to play a school sport this upcoming semester."

Nodding my head this time, I turned back to him once more before standing and heading back to my own. Charlie turned off the hallway light after ensuring I was tucked in.

"Goodnight Eryk." He whispered.

"Night Charlie."

____________________________________

ERYK'S POV:

"Hey, I'm leaving for work and I won't be home until late. Here's some money for a pizza." Charlie leaned in near me to make sure I was listening.