Chapter 5

Eryk was in the shower so I had to wait and I didn't want to rush him because of the beating he took from Charlie and how emotional he probably is over it. He always took things like this very deeply because he hated disappointing anyone, especially the people he cared about. One time he let mom down by getting a B on a test and he studied so hard that he barely left our room and he even made her breakfast for a week.
The door opened but it wasn't who I thought it was going to be, "Hey Cody, do you...." Charlie began as he came inside.
I threw the cigarette outside the window as fast as I could but he already caught me with the smoke swirling around my head.
       "Don't you knock?"
He raised his eyebrows at me and looked shocked that I asked him that.
       "You're smoking?" He came closer to me with a disappointing look.
       "No..." I coughed and tried to lie.
       "What's going on?" Eryk asked as he came inside with a towel around his shoulders.
He seemed to be in a better mood but he knew Charlie's look all too well.
       "Cody's smoking in the house."
Now Eryk shot me a disapproving look and I just put my head down so I wouldn't have to see either of their expressions.
       "Eryk go wait downstairs."
       "Charlie, Cody has..." He was about to defend me because he knew that this wasn't easy and he still smoked too.
       "Do I have to tell you again?" Charlie turned towards Eryk.
       "No, sir."
Eryk glanced at me one more time before he shook his head and left. Charlie closed the door behind him and stared at me as if he didn't know what he was about to do.
       "Why are you smoking? And in the house?" He put his hands on his hips and I swear his face turned red.
       "I don't know...it helps with the stress." I said honestly. "It makes me feel better at the end of the day."
       "Cody, when I set a rule in place I expect that rule to be followed. I don't like it when they are dismissed and you didn't seem too happy about it when I set the rule, you were giving me attitude but I overlooked that. Just like I overlooked your stunt with Eryk at the lake today but I guess I'm giving you too many chances."
I nodded my head because I thought that if I would show him how sorry I am for it then he might overlook one more small thing.
       "Give me your cigarettes." His voice raises a little.
       "I don't have anymore." I couldn't let him take my cigarettes.
       "Cody if I search your room and I find any cigarettes the consequences are going to be even worse." He raised his eyebrows at me.
       I thought hard about whether he would actually find them or not, but I figured there's no way he would. I shrugged my shoulders. He shook his head and started to clean out my room. He was messing everything up; undid my bed, took everything out of my drawers, and looked inside the desk drawers. I started to feel relieved when he slowed down but then he went to my chest that I brought from Jeff's.
       "Hey what the hell..." I started to ask but he shot me a look and I got quiet.
       "In there." He shoved the chest at me. "There's two packs in there. Give them to me."
I looked down at the chest and hesitated. These were my last two packs.
       "You heard me, give them to me. You are in a lot of trouble Cody I hope you know this." He held out his hand. I gave them to him and he snatched them out of my palm. "Are there anymore?"
       "No, sir."
       "Are you lying to me?" he leaned down this time and looked me right in the eyes so he could tell if I was lying or not.
       "No, sir."
He walked to the far end of the room where our desk was and began taking off his belt. Really? A spanking for one little cigarette? This isn't fair!
       "Come bend over your desk."Charlie's stern voice snapped me out of my own thoughts but I couldn't help but protest my innocence.
       "Charlie, please, I didn't do anything wrong. I don't want a spanking, it hurts."
       "It's supposed to hurt and you did do something wrong. You did a lot wrong; you disrespected me with your attitude, you snuck cigarettes inside, smoked them in the house, and you tried to lie to me when I caught you."
        "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do any of it, I swear!"
         "Cody, you're only making this harder on yourself bud. Now come over here and take your punishment, you know you deserve this."
          "No! I don't deserve this!" I accidentally yelled at him.
          "Did you see what I did to Eryk downstairs? Do you want yours without your pants on?"
          "I don't want it period!" I looked to my right and saw that the door wasn't shut all the way and noticed that it opens out and not in.
          "Listen to me Cody, I know you don't want it, I know it hurts, and I know you're scared..." he glanced down at my shaking hands. "but you chose to act like this and now you need to take responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences."
I didn't hear anything he said. I was too busy focusing on how I was gonna make it out the door and where I was gonna go. There was a lot of space in between Charlie and I and he would have to walk to the other side of the room just to make it to the door. I could make it. I can make it.
       "Cody, I'm waiting." He raised his eyebrows and I took off running.
I barged through the door and slammed it shut to stall him. I ran down the stairs and  through the living room where Eryk was standing by the fishtank.
       "Cody what the hell are you doing?"
       But I ignored him and continued into the kitchen, and went out the screen door, which was opened as well. It was pretty chilly outside since it was nine at night and I couldn't see a thing because the porch light was out, but I rushed halfway through the yard and looked over my shoulder for him. I slowed down a little to catch my breath and it was then I felt a firm hand slam down on my shoulder. 
       "Cody Lee!" He yelled my first and middle name at me as he started pulling me towards the garage by the collar of my shirt. I was in for it.
I tried to fight his push but he was so, so much stronger than I was and towered over me. I should have known I wouldn't be able to out-run him but I thought if I could delay the spanking then he might actually listen to me.
       "Charlie please!" I yelled as he opened the garage door and turned on the lights.
He held me close to him as his muscular arm reached inside the cupboard and grabbed a wide ruler since he probably dropped his belt somewhere while he was chasing me. Eryk warned me about the belt but not about the ruler, this was going to hurt so much more.
       "No! No, please!" I tried getting him to let go by grabbing his arm,pulling it off, and smacking it away but that didn't help.
He turned me around and gave me four hard swats with his hand. They were really fast and hard, his smacks echoed off the walls of the garage, and left a burning warm-up on my backside.
       "You don't ever hit me. Do you understand?" He pulled me straight and cupped the underneath of my upper arm.
       "Yes, sir." I said quietly as the pain started to form. "But please don't do this, listen to me..."
He guided me towards a concrete step that leads to another door for the back.
       "Too late. You ran from me Cody, now I have to give you extra."
More? He already did it!
       "But you just..."
       "Those were only some of what you're about to get. We have others we need to cover."
I was still resisting but I was tired and out of breath. He held both my wrists in one hand and pulled down my shorts with the other.
       "Come here." He said as he opened his legs and pulled me over his left knee so he could use the other to trap my feet.
       "Charlie!"
       "Quiet, the more you yell and resist the longer you're going to be across my knee."
       I started to silently cry because I hated feeling trapped his way. I was bent over so awkwardly that my face was almost touching the step and I felt like I was going to fall over despite Charlie's tight grip on my waist. I started to panic even more when I felt him grab my boxers but he only fixed them so they were straight and not baggy, which shouldn't be hard because they're really thin since they're night boxers. Heat began rushing to my face because my scars were exposed. There were whipping marks, burn scars, and some cuts from falling around in the yard when I ran from Jeff. Except he never caught me. Not at first at least. He grabbed the ruler with his right hand and used his left one to push on the small of my back.
       "If you can tell me entirely why you're getting this, I'll remove some hits." He said to me and I began thinking.
       "B-because I snuck cigarettes and smoked them?" I asked.
       "What else?" He steadied the ruler across my ass.
       "That's it!" I yelled in a panic.
       "No, you're getting this because of your attitude, you swore at me and slammed the door in my face, disobeyed my rules by smoking, hid cigarettes inside your room, lied to me about the whole situation, and now for hitting me and running from your punishment."
      "Charlie you didn't give me..."
      "No Cody, you should never run from your punishment or from me. I'm not going to hear your explanation tonight."
      "But this isn't fuck..."
      "Hey!" He swatted my legs with the ruler.
      "Ow!" I jumped at the contact.
      "You're in no position to yell or swear at me right now."
      "But I don't want this to happen!" I whined.
      "Then you shouldn't have done this."
      "But..."
      "No 'buts', now it's time to deal with yours."
He meant that literally.
       He raised his fist and landed the first one right in the middle. I flinched and almost fell forward, he then went into a series of ten with only second-long pauses and my butt felt like it was on fire. He laid down ten more and I only knew that because there was nothing but the sound of the ruler hitting my ass. There was nothing to distract me from the pain; not his yelling, not anything near me to grab, just the ruler and some concrete.
       The worst part was that it was a gel ruler and not a wooden one, at least the wooden one would just leave small spreads of pain instead of the burning sting all over because it was so damn flimsy. He covered all the areas; the top, middle, each side, and my sit-spots so he left no area of my butt untouched. His rhythm was consistent; left side, right side, double on sit-spots, once up top and then all over again. When he hit twenty-five I couldn't handle the pain any more and I reached my hands behind to cover my butt.
       "Cody move your hands." He said gently as if he were suddenly sorry.
       "I-I can't. It hurts too much." I stuttered almost every word.
       "I know it hurts Cody but you have to accept that this is happening so you can either face this or I'm going to pull down your boxers."
       "No, I don't want it bare!" I cried on his leg.
       "Then move your hands." He tapped it with the ruler and I slowly moved it back towards my shoulders.
After another five hard hits and I put my hand back to try to get him to stop. I wanted to see his expression so I looked back with tears in my eyes.
       "Don't look at me like that." He turned his head and sounded annoyed.
        "P-please. I'm sorry."
He let out a sigh and I thought it was over but he actually pinned my wrist to my back so I was completely defenseless. Then he used his other hand to push down on my shoulder so my guilt driven look wouldn't affect him.
       "Ow! Stop!" I yelled when he landed the next ten on my sit spots area, which was the worst place to get hit. "Ow! Ow! Ow!" I whined
       "Cody, I said if you keep this up you're going to be here longer so I suggest you be quiet."
How was I supposed to respond to that? I covered my mouth with my free hand and squeezed the sleeve of my shirt. The final ten were scattered everywhere and he somehow managed to lay them down harder than what he did before.
       "It's finished." he said as he put the ruler next to my head.
       I wasn't even crying anymore I was sobbing, and so much that I felt dizzy. My arm was cramped from him holding it against my back, my head was resting on the stairs because I couldn't hold it anymore, and my eyes would barely open. I wanted to jump off his knee just in case he changed his mind but I was afraid to move. He pulled up my shorts and I winced even louder at the extra contact.
       "Come here, it's okay." Charlie picked me up and carefully leaned me against his chest so I would have some support.
       I wasn't mad anymore at what he did, I was just glad it was over. It felt weird that I wanted him to comfort me even though he just beat my ass until it was a deep red but I really wasn't mad at him. So I buried my face on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around my neck to hide my embarrassment, with his free hand he patted me on the back. 
       "I know it's new here but you can't act this way and not expect any consequences."
       "I'm so sorry." I hiccuped but you could barely hear me.
       "I know you are," he continued to pat my back. "I know you are."
       "A-are you mad at me?" I asked as I started to catch my breath.
He didn't answer for a minute and I thought that meant he was mad at me and I began to worry.
       "No, no I'm not mad at you. I'll only be mad at you if you didn't learn your lesson and we have to go through this again. I'm not trying to be mean, Cody, believe me I don't like doing this but it needs to be done."
I nodded my head in his shoulder so he knew I understood.
       "Let's go back inside." He leaned me forward so he could look at my face. "It's cold out here and it's past your bedtime anyway."
We walked back to the house, Charlie walking a little slower than I was, but I was just ready to crawl into my bed. I walked into the kitchen and tried to race to the stairs but Charlie caught me.
       "Wait a second, drink this." he gave me a glass of water. "It will help calm you down."
My hands were shaking that it made the water in the cup ripple and drip out when I tipped it towards my mouth.
       "All of it." he said when I began to slow down.
I finished the cup and felt like I just swallowed a brick but I did feel much calmer. He let me go upstairs afterwards and I collapsed on my bed. Belly down of course.