Chapter 8

Eryk and I spent the rest of the day just playing video games and throwing a football around in the backyard. I wanted to go for a walk or even go down to the lake but Eryk said we shouldn't since we didn't have Charlie's permission and we couldn't call to ask him because he was at work. I sometimes wonder what Eryk and I were allowed to do here since we have such a huge backyard and no houses around. We could probably have our own baseball game with real baseballs if we could just find enough people in the neighborhood to join.

"Charlie should be home soon." Eryk said as he turned off the tv.

"Eryk what do you think sixth grade is going to be like?" I asked him, even though he'll be on the other half of the building since he'll be a sophomore.

"Sixth grade is really easy and besides, you'll have all your friends with you now."

"I'm not ready to start school." I said nervously.

"Well you have almost another two months to ease into it. Trust me Cody, it isn't that bad, except now you can start taking electives like an extra gym class and that will be fun."

"Right."

My friends. I haven't talked to them in months which makes me wonder if we are still friends. I don't think they'd be the type of guys to ditch me but honestly I have no idea what to think about it. Sixth grade is serious though, people start looking at you seriously now and I have to make sure no one tries to step on my shoes or put glue on my chair so my pants look all saggy. Wait. I have a brilliant idea.

But my brilliant idea was interrupted by the door closing as Charlie came inside. He kicked his boots off and stretched his arms before easing into his chair in the corner.

"How was your day guys?" He asked.

"Pretty good, we went outside and played catch." I said eagerly.

"Football?" He asked Eryk, trying to get him to talk.

"Yeah, it was the only ball we could find."

Charlie nodded his head and then spotted the football next to him, he picked it up and gave it a tight squeeze.

"It's pretty deflated, we'll have to get a new one."

I wanted to ask for a baseball and a glove instead but I felt really awkward asking for something like that. I hated asking anyone for anything, well except Eryk.

"How about we go to the gym?" Charlie asked as he stood up.

"The gym? What for?" Eryk asked.

"You need a stress reliever. You both do. When I felt stressed nothing made me feel better than going to the gym and throwing in some punches, which is why I'm going to train you to box. If you want, I think you'll like it."

"Charlie that sounds awesome!" Eryk basically leaped out of his chair which put a big smile on Charlie's face.

"Cody? Is there a sport you would rather join when school starts?" He asked, noticing my non-excitement for the idea.

"I like baseball."

"Oh, I love baseball. I used to play in high school."

"Where'd you play?"

"Short or left. I rotated almost every position but those were my primary ones."

I nodded my head and felt a lot more at ease about school now. If I was on a team there's no way anyone would mess with me.

"We could get you ready for that if you want?" He asked after I started to drift off.

"Okay, thanks." Looks like my plan was going to work out after all.

Eryk and I went upstairs to get changed. I looked at Eryk as I was putting on my shorts and tee, then I saw that his cut from his last episode was still there. I haven't seen Eryk have an episode in over a month and I hope they are finally over. He was a lot more broken than I was, maybe because he knew mom better and had to tolerate Jeff longer than I did. Maybe because for the first four years, or you might as well say seven since I was a helpless, shy kid, he was all alone. He finished putting on his shorts and then tied his sneakers. 

The gym wasn't too far from the house, about 20 minutes we were all in the truck. But when we got to the gym it was like we were in a whole new world. I looked around and saw a bunch of large guys lifting weights, playing sports, and just bullshitting near the water fountains. This place was awesome. There was heavy metal music playing over the loudspeakers but everyone had their own headphones in.

"I'll get us some tokens, go hang up your jackets." Charlie pointed over our shoulders to the far left.

"Do you think there'll be people from our school here?" I asked Eryk as I hung up my jacket.

"Maybe, this place is mostly for adults and high school people."

"Well you're a high school person."

"Yeah I know, but a lot of these guys can be jerks."

Charlie came back a few minutes later and led us through a separate room where the batting cages were.

"We're in seven. Let's see what you got Cody" He said as he led us to the last gate.

"I don't have a bat."

"Here, see if you can hold this." He handed me a heavy wooden bat.

I stepped back and took a practice swing and it was just right. I nodded my head and he closed the gate behind him.

"Are you ready?" He put the tokens in the slot and set the control on "controlled."

"I think so." I shook my hands and put on a helmet.

"You got this Cody" Eryk said from behind the cage.

I walked to the left side of the plate and lined my feet forward. I've watched baseball ever since I was seven but watching and playing were completely different. The first ball came forward and I hit it straight towards the corner.

    "Nice job." Eryk said as he clapped.

    "Ready for the next?" Charlie asked as he pressed the button.

This one I hit up high above the machine.

    "Okay, hold on." Charlie said as he walked into the cage. "You're doing good for your first time but you're not rotating your hips. Watch." He grabbed my hands from behind me and did a practice swing. "Like that, okay?" he asked before patting me on the shoulder and stepping back.

I thought about what he said and tried it, I had a solid hit and the ball went right down the middle. It would have been higher and farther but the netting was narrow.

"Hey! There you go. Now can you bunt?"

"Can I bunt?" I mocked him. I batted the ball right down the middle.

"Eh, I don't know. That looked like an easy out." He played along.

"If it's so easy you come do it." I said as I handed him the bat.

He scoffed at me, took the bat, and went to the same side of the plate. He stretched his arms and did a practice swing, which was a lot different than mine, and then pointed the bat at the machine.

"Whenever you're ready." He said to me.
I pushed the button and Charlie hit it so hard that there was a piercing smack from the bat hitting the ball. He nodded his head for another one and this time he line-drived it right onto the machine. The third time he bunted and it did a circle spin down into the ground just a few feet in between where the catcher and pitcher would be.

"Here, take it back before I pull my arm out." He handed me the bat. "Eryk let him hit some more and then we'll go to the ring."

"Fine with me."

I stopped to look at Charlie laughing with Eryk about how he was gonna get his butt kicked in boxing. You know something, Charlie is a really cool dad.

Hey guys, thanks for reading! Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions that you have!
- KA