Chapter 10

It was four in the afternoon when I woke up. My head was pounding and my stomach roared from the lack of food I've eaten in the last two days. Apparently Charlie didn't wake me up for lunch which I was sort of grateful. My ass still didn't feel numb anymore which means the real pain is coming, the pain of nothing but fire and pierce stings.

"Help Eryk set the table for dinner." Charlie said as he walked into the living room to grab his cell phone.

I stood carefully, trying to not spread my legs too much to stretch out the pain, and went into the kitchen. I started laying silverware on the table while Eryk put the plates down. He couldn't even look at me because he knew I was mad at him. I can't believe he sold me out, he told Charlie everything. Not only that, he said I went to the party, who my friends were and what I was doing. He probably told him I was smoking.

"What's for dinner?" Eryk asked Charlie, trying to break the silence.

"Lasagna."

Lasagna. That was moms favorite. She always made the best sauce and she put like five different kinds of cheese in the middle. We didn't have it often though because she never had the money for groceries and Jeff hated lasagna.

"Go ahead and sit down, I'll bring it in." He said to us both.

"Are you ok?" Eryk asked.

"What the hell do you think?"

He didn't say anything, he only looked at me and sighed.

"You sold me out."

"I didn't sell you out!" He whispered and glanced at the kitchen. "You weren't here when he woke up, that's your fault"

"Charlie doesn't wake up until eight, you said so yourself because he lives on a schedule."

"He woke up early to take the trash out, it's Tuesday dumbass "

"Don't get angry with me because you sold me out! We're supposed to be a team, remember when you said that to me? You said you'd have my back!"

"I do have your back! I'll always have your back but he panicked and questioned me when he saw you weren't here Cody! What was I supposed to do!?"

"Oh, blow it out your rear-end Eryk! You really need to mind your own business!"

"Enough!" We both went silent after Charlie appeared in the doorway with a pan of lasagna. He was like a ghost; he hears everything and can appear out of nowhere. "What's going on in here?"

"Eryk stabbed me in the back." I said quietly.

"I did not stab...!"

"I said that's enough!" He yelled again and this time we both stood up.

"No Charlie! He needs to know..."

"Excuse me?" Charlie put the pan down and folded his arms.

Eryk put his hands flat down on his sides and grew really quiet. It was about time he shut up.
"Did you just tell me no?"

"Sorry." Eryk said as he glanced towards me, as if I would be able to chime in. He knew all too well not to go down that road.

"Now I said that's enough. It's time for dinner, we can talk about this without yelling at one another."

I didn't want to eat dinner, all I wanted to do was go back to bed and try to not think about the pain. I glanced back at the couch and I thought about passing out, I mean he wouldn't really wake me up for it. Would he?

"Cody, start eating." He handed me a plate with a piece of lasagna and some garlic bread.

Nevermind. My stomach growled and I knew I was hungry but I didn't feel like eating
anything right now. Although it did smell really good. "Cody, Eryk didn't 'sell you out, he did the right thing by telling me where you went. I was about to call the police when I came upstairs and you weren't there."

The police? Why would he call the police.

"I didn't think it was that big of a deal."

"But I do, because I care about you and your well-being Cody. Don't ever pull something stupid like that again. You even had Eryk scared."

"You were scared?" I asked Eryk who had just took a bite.

"Yes," he said a little unclear. "you said you would be back by midnight and then you didn't come back."

"I'm sorry I scared you guys, it's just...besides Eryk, no one has ever cared about what I did or where I went or what happens to me."

"Well now you have two people who does and will do anything I can to help you. But Eryk," he shifted his attention to him. "you are also somewhat at fault for this."

Eryk looked taken aback by this.

"You are living in a new house that has strict rules and expectations. When your little brother asked you to lie for him, you went along with it easily."

Now he looked worried that he was going to get what I got.

"I know not always agreeing with them can cause tension and arguments but we need to help one another become better, that's what a big brother does. You need to set an example and help him defer from the error in his actions. You should have immediately come to me when Cody told you of his plans to sneak out."

Eryk stared blanklessly in the center of the table.

ERYK'S FLASHBACK:
"I know it's a little hard right now, isn't it?" Mom asked me sweetly as she picked up my sippy cup. "But you have a little brother right now Eryk and that's a big change."

I frowned at her when she mentioned Cody. All he did was cry and take mom away from me.

"Cody can be a little hard to get along with, huh? Little brother's don't always turn out the way you want them to but that's why big brothers are there to mold them. He'll change if you help him." She hugged me warmly and her words stuck with me.

Charlie looked a little annoyed because he thought Eryk wasn't listening to him.

"Eryk." He snapped his fingers in his face. "Were you listening to me?"

"Y-yes, sir." He said as if he had just woken up.

"Are you lying to me?" Charlie didn't seem like he believed him.

"No, sir. I promise, I heard every word you said." He tried to assure Charlie this time because he could tell he was pushing his buttons.

"Promise me that you always look out for each other? Even if it means going against what one of you might want?"

"I promise." Eryk answered reluctantly and he shook Charlie's hand.

"Don't shake unless you mean it." He turned to me and extended his arm.

I shook his hand after I hesitated because I wasn't sure whether or not I could keep a problem like this but if Eryk could tell-on me then I could easily return the favor.

"Good."