Chapter 7

CODY'S POV:
Eryk's been in Charlie's room for over an hour and I'm starting to get worried that he'll be really broken when he comes to bed or worse, have another episode. I turned off the tv and climbed into bed, it was close to ten and I know it's time for me to go to sleep but I really want to make sure Eryk is okay.

"Go to bed." I heard Charlie say from the hallway and then I heard his big figure climb down the stairs.

Eryk came inside and I just about leaped out of bed. He looked awful. His face was bright red, he was still crying and breathing heavily, and his eyes looked like he hasn't slept in days. His hair was ruffled from him yanking on it to relieve some stress.

"Are you okay?" I asked as he went to his closet.

"No, no, I sure as hell am not okay..." he stretched his arms above the door frame and dangled his head. "I can't believe I've become the type of person that would try to hit a female."

"You're not, Eryk I know you..."

"You weren't there." He raised his voice to speak over me. "You didn't see me, you didn't see what happened! Mr. Davis wasn't lying when he said I was going to hurt her if he didn't step in and stop me."

He stopped to look at me like he wants me to say something but I don't know what to say.

"This is who I've become Cody! I knew what I was doing when I charged towards her and I knew what I was about to do was wrong in so many ways. I'm...I'm fucking everything up." He stopped to sniffle and then he stared at the ground. "I'm watching it happen and I can't stop myself."

The door flew open and Charlie came inside, he didn't seem happy but he at least was calmed down.

"Eryk, I said go to bed, I didn't say yell at Cody."

"Yes sir." He sniffled one last time and crawled into his bed.

Eryk violently pulled the covers over his head and Charlie just motioned to my bed for me.
Mom was never someone to lecture us, but at least she knew when we learned our lesson and right now I'm not so sure Charlie is capable of telling. I faced Eryk and listened to him sniffle under his sheets, I know he learned his lesson. Not because of the beating he got, but because of the look in his eyes. He saw mom again, the flashbacks of the fear in her eyes are what Eryk saw when he reimagined that lady in the office. It wasn't always like this though.

Everything used to be tolerable. We would be sort-of regular for a small family; we had birthday parties, we got gifts on holidays, but when Jeff lost his job everything went black. Some days were good because we got away with shit at that place, right from the get-go we were hell-raisers and we still are. There wasn't anything we couldn't do during the day, we were slick, sharp, and definitely a good team. But when the sun went down we would hide in the closet and dream about a better day. If Charlie would have copped a plea to mom sooner, maybe we would have been okay.

"Goodnight Eryk." I said before turning out the light.

"Goodnight, Cody." He always told me goodnight.

He didn't mean to do it. But I promise I'll be there to see him through it all, because he was always my pal...and he always will be.
________________________________

The next morning Eryk and I went downstairs for some breakfast but Charlie wasn't there. There was only a note on the table.

"What's it say?" I asked Eryk as he crumbled it and threw it away.

"Charlie got called into work, he'll be back at five tonight."

He went to the cabinets and started to pull out a pan and a few bowls. He pulled out some flour and brown sugar and I got a sizzle in my mouth.

"Are you doing what I think you're doing?"

"Hell yeah, I'm making waffles!" He turned and handed me some food coloring.

"Blue and green?" I asked.

"Blue and green."

Blue and green were our favorite colors. It was really rare when we got to make waffles because we never had any flour. The local store never sold it and it was too far of a walk to go to the grocery store, but there were some days when Eryk and I said screw it and just went.

"Oh my God, dude, we actually have syrup." I found the bottle when I opened the fridge to get the milk.

"Seriously?" He snatched the bottle out of my hand like he didn't believe me. "Ready for the best waffles you've ever had?"

He asked as he poured the milk into his bowl and started whisking fast.

"Is that even a question?"

Eryk always made the best waffles, even better than the ones they used to serve at school. He made them so sweet and fluffy that you didn't even need syrup but it never hurts to add extra sugar. The smell was so sweet that I could literally be in the shower and know that Eryk was making waffles.

"D-did you bring that from home?" I asked Eryk as he pulled out the waffle turner.

"Mom bought it for us for Christmas...I couldn't just leave it there." He put it over the stovetop and poured the mix into it. "Besides, she had it engraved for us...and it makes the best waffles every time." His voice started to sink.

"Can I have two?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"You always do, and I'll have three."

He put two big, blue waffles right in front of me and I began shoving them down my throat.

"Blue for you and green for me." He started eating his and I actually saw a genuine smile on his face.

"These are really good, I wish Charlie would go into work more often." We both laughed and Eryk nodded his head.

"Yeah, my ass will get some rest today, that's for sure."

By the time I finished my second waffle I was stuffed. I wanted to eat more but I knew I'd get sick and Eryk still looked sore from last night. We both chugged a tall glass of milk before burping really loud.

"Mine was louder." He gloated and bumped my shoulder.

"Maybe because you have so much air in your head that some of it had to come out."

"Hilarious. We should get cleaning."

I looked around and noticed that there was flour everywhere. Eryk started the dishes while I wiped everything down and put all the ingredients away. I looked down at the engraving on the waffle turner "To Cody and Eryk, with all my love; uncover your eyes and presume uncertain skies." I really miss mom. She was the one who taught Eryk how to cook. I looked over at him and somehow felt her in him. I know mom would have wanted us to move on, and if this is the home I have to do it in...I don't think it'll be that hard.