Chapter 1

Silence. There wasn't a noticeable noise in the room even though there are over fifty people here. No one talked, whispered, no one made a single sound or move. They all just pondered at me silently as I tried to hide my shaking and waited for the first question. I got the chance to tell my story today, to just let everything out but for some reason I don't think I'll be able to make it through this. I have to tell the story, not just for me or for my brother, but for her since she isn't here to tell it herself anymore. There was something really wrong in the room today, it's our sixth day but the environment is different. Most of the people sitting in their seats just gossiped away at my suffering but it was like everyone went cold and froze over. The only noise that occurred after an agonizing period of silence was the sound of my heartbeat as they brought him into the room.

"Sorry we're late. You may proceed Mr. Trotter."

"Start from the beginning," He scribbled in his notebook. "Of the day you phoned the police."

"Eryk and I were picking everything up."

"Did we finish everything on his
list?" I looked to Eryk as I watched
him put the lawn mower back in
the garage.

"As soon as we finish picking up
the recyclables we will." He wiped
the sweat from his forehead on his
shirt and he helped me finish
picking up the bottles.

"We need to hurry up and shower,
if we don't then we'll miss our
chance for the next few days." 

"Eryk and I hurried back into the house, I watched from the dirty old brown sofa outside the window for dad, to take his shower. We both reeked of scotch and whiskey from the recyclables and were covered in sweat from the long list of outside chores dad had left us before he went to work. Mom disappeared two days ago, me and Eryk left to go to the grocery and when we came back she wasn't here."

"Got any smokes?" Eryk asked as
he came downstairs and sat
across from me. 

"Yeah, I got like two left." I threw
a cigarette at him and handed
him my lighter. 

"Eryk and I would sometimes sneak cigarettes from dad's drawer when he was too drunk to count." I looked over and saw the glare on his face.

"Hurry up and go," he handed
me his towel, "try not to use up
all the hot water." 

"Yeah, yeah, I know." 

We had to share the same towel
to limit the amount of
laundry that was around when
dad got home, sometimes it
would reduce his anger. 

"Then Eryk and I waited inside of our room quietly. We tried to quiet our breathing, waiting for dad to come home and inspect the house, hoping he wouldn't find anything. Sometimes he wouldn't come home at all, instead he would just go straight to Dave's, the town bar, and drink his night away there so me and Eryk would be at home alone with mom. Those were nice days."