Chapter 48

ERYK'S POV: 

"You scared him." Mom declared. 

I wonder if they know I can hear them since their room was right next door to mine and clearly their door was open. 

"Scared him? I barely raised my voice..."

"Charlie for as big as you are, you weren't even talking to me and I was scared. You're built like a concrete house."

I heard their door close and I tried to pretend like I wasn't eavesdropping. I've gotten a really bad punishment for that before. I used to listen in on the phone whenever mom or dad was talking to someone. That's how I found out there was no Santa Clause.

"How're you doing honey?" She came inside and sat down next to me, resulting in my leaning forward to give her enough space.

"Dad's really mad at me."

She nodded, "You disrespected him on top of lying to us both."

"Yeah, I'm sorry I lied to you." I said sincerely. "I won't do it again and I'll work really hard to do better in school."

Not being able to resist, she gave me a small smile and kissed the top of my head.

"It won't be this easy with dad, will it?"

She chuckled, nodding her head. "Your dad is standing on his pride."

I wasn't sure if she was saying that generally or if that was a clue for me, not that I knew what it meant anyway.

"What do I do?"

"Well, you should give him some space, time to process his thoughts but you owe him an apology."

I nodded, not really convinced that it would be as straightforward as she said.

"Just keep this in mind; if you want someone to listen to you, then you need to pander to them. Not yourself. Even if it means carrying the heavy feeling of guilt with you for a little while."

Tussling my hair, she waited for me to show that I understood before leaving the room and keeping the door open. My gut was telling me I should leave to talk to dad now since she left the door open...but dad told me to go to my room. He hasn't said anything since.

________________________________________________________________

Why. Can't. You. Get. Anything. Right?!

I slammed my knuckles against the bag again, completely ignoring the blistering soreness forming there. I probably deserve it. 

I've been at the gym for almost four hours, trying to burn off some steam or at least release some of the pressure mounting in my chest. I feel like I'm suffocating every day. The 'conversation' I had with Cody yesterday was bouncing around in my head, leaving a penetrating ache in my head.

"Ugh." I sighed, feeling tired and drained from my duration here but my head was still full.

You would think I was trying to punch a hole in the wall from the sight of me; I was covered in sweat from head to toe and it was especially noticeable on my clothes, my face was probably as red as my knuckles were since I was burning hot, and even I could tell that there was something troubling lingering in my body language. Written so plainly on my face. I've had a few people exchange glances at themselves over me, probably wondering what my deal is or that I was hogging the bag but no one made an indication to show they had any intention of using it.