Chapter 3

"No, no, no, no! Stop!" I began kicking and throwing my arms in the way, trying to get him away from me with that cigar.
        "You little shit!" He yelled as I managed to swat his hand away and he dropped the cigar on the floor.
        "Please don't!" I tried yelling as he picked it up, caught my wrist, and pulled my close to his face.
He laughed at me and then shoved the burnt-end of the cigar against my wrist almost like he was trying to put it out.
         "This is what you get when I catch you in my tool box!"
         "I'm sorry!" I yelled as he held me firmly because I was fighting to get away.
He caught me in his tool box looking at his magazines, the ones with naked girls in them. Normally he would yell at me but today there was something in him that just snapped like he was having a mental breakdown.
          "Cody! Cody, wake up."
I felt hands shake my shoulders, I opened my eyes and Eryk was sitting on the bed.
"Shh, it's okay." He said as went to hug me but I jumped out of the bed.
       I looked down at the ugly burn scar I had from his cigar near my wrist. That damn scar has been there since I was eight and it represents the day that Jeff suddenly went dark. I noticed as everything in the room around me went dark and blurry and I couldn't keep my breathing steady.
       "You need to calm down." He tried to come near me but I backed away and covered my scar.
       "What's going on in here?" Charlie asked as he barged in.
      "Cody had a nightmare."
      "C-closet. I need my closet! Where is it!?" I said as I ran past Eryk but Charlie caught me in his arms.
      "No! Get away from me!" I hit Charlie in the stomach and I noticed he was beginning to lose his patience with me.
      "Hey!" He gripped my arms painfully and kneeled down to my height. "Knock it off, breathe okay? Just breathe."
      "Remember our steps?" Eryk asked as he came behind me and covered my mouth with his hand so I'd be forced to slow down and breathe through my nose.
I began to slow my breathing down and my vision got better. Eryk used to do those breathing steps with me to prevent me from going into a panic attack.
       "Eryk go downstairs and get Cody some water and maybe something light to eat."
       "Okay."
He waited until Eryk was downstairs before he turned me back towards my bed and tried to get me to sit down.
       "Did you have a nightmare about Jeff?" He asked as he knelt down beside me.
       "Y-yeah, but I'm fine now."
He gave me a look like he didn't believe me, which is understandable. I wouldn't believe me either.
       "What were you saying about a closet?"
I turned my head and refused to answer because it was so embarrassing. He wanted to yell at me because I wouldn't answer but I think he just felt too sorry to do so which didn't make me feel any better about the situation.
      "Here." Eryk handed me a glass of water and a string cheese.
      "Come on." Charlie placed his hand on eryk's shoulder and they walked out of the room. I engulfed the glass of water in front of me because my mouth was so dry and could barely open the string cheese because my hands were shaking too much.
      "What's he talking about a closet?" Charlie whispered, as if I couldn't hear him.
       "Cody used to hide from Jeff in the closet, mom would sometimes read stories to him in there, it was kinda like his safeplace. Sometimes Jeff would just forget he was there because he was so drunk or Cody would wait in there long enough to where he just gave up." I watched how serious his face grew. "The closet meant so much to give because of how bad he was."
         "How bad he was?" Charlie asked confusingly.
         "Scared, like really bad. Charlie it was so bad that Cody would sometimes throw-up in fear of Jeff walking in the room. One day mom accidentally closed the door while it was pre-locked and Cody had a panic attack. It took us two hours to calm him down and he took a butter-knife trying to get the door open."
        "Did he eventually get it open?"
        "Yes and when he did it was like he would have forgotten what the sun looked like. He didn't eat, didn't talk, didn't come out for three days."
        "Alright, I'll handle this. Thank you."
They both walked inside but I was already sleeping again. Charlie sighed and told Eryk to go back to bed. I was relieved to hear the door close behind Charlie.

Just wanted to tell you guys feel free to leave comments or suggestions or any questions you have.
Thanks,
KA