Chapter 38

Hey guys, sorry that this came in so late. There was a big storm yesterday and my wifi has been in and out. I know this chapter is short but I will have another one posted by Friday of the upcoming week and it will be much better. I wanted to write more but with the power outage and wifi problems I didn't want to risk losing the progress saved here. 

CODY'S POV: 

For the last twelve hours all I could hear was a deafening tone that made my brain feel like it was in slow-motion. I am having a hard time digesting Charlie's moving proposal for obvious reasons but the one that was the most clear was my inability to separate myself from moms memory. If we leave, we'd be leaving the last remembrance of her behind and she'd have no one left. There'd be no one to bring her flowers, to wipe the dust off her grave, to update her on our lives, no one to sing her happy birthday or Merry Christmas...she'd just be another body in the ground. 

Believe we when I say that we deliberated on the idea for almost four hours and yet, somehow, we came to the wrong conclusion. Charlie was for the move and Eryk was convinced the same, although I thought differently, thus leaving me out-voted. 

"Hey, there you are." Eryk trudged from behind. "I've been looking for you, how're you doing out here?" 

"Crappy, I feel like my emotions are playing ping-pong." 

"Yeah I'm picking up the same," He joined me on the curb and ran his hands through his hair. "I've been replaying the idea in my head over and over, hoping that it'll somehow become likable or at least tolerable." 

I shook my head in dismay, trying not to explode in the middle of the street. "How could Charlie just drop this on us? Where the hell did it even come from?" 

Turning his head slightly so it was angled towards the city overview, he breathed deeply through his nose to be able to render a confession. 

"I may have had something to do with that," He waited for a response but I had none. "but I didn't mean it directly. It was supposed to mean in the future, when I get older and move out." 

I don't believe that Eryk would have directly suggested it to Charlie. There was no way he'd be able to let go of this city any easier than I would have. 

"We'd be able to leave all the bad memories behind," He tried to help the situation by being positive, as he had always done in the past. "and we'd get a new, fresh start. That'll make the change a little easier." 

"You know, it's not the change that bothers me." 

"Yeah, we've been through a lot of changes together." He rubbed his shoulder against mine. "This one is no different." 

"Is that why you walked away okay?" 

"I think 'okay' is a stretch, it's something that I don't think I'd mind entirely but the idea of leaving the place where we spent our time with mom behind makes me nauseous." 

I sighed but, glancing behind me to make sure no one was around, reached into my pocket and pulled out a cigarette. Eryk instantly knew what it was, he could sense the nicotine that his body was still in withdrawal, and we both sat there and admired it for a moment. We stared at it as every person does; a savory relief. A tiny vessel of calmness. 

"Charlie's in the shower, I think we deserve this." I handed him the cigarette and pulled another one out for myself. 

He looked behind him, "I don't want to know where you got it." and accepted it with a wave of excitement. "How am I supposed to light this man? What, do I got to rub two sticks together?" 

"Here you jerk." I pulled out a lighter.

The minute the cigarette caught fire, he inhaled deeply and let the smoke stir around his mouth before letting out a slow exhale.