Chapter 32

ERYK'S POV:

I sat impatiently with Cody in the lobby, eagerly awaiting to get into Mr. Davis' office and catch him up on everything. There has been something stirring in my mind ever since I went on the trip with Natalie. I get this really weird feeling like she's going to leave, just disappear from my life without warning. We haven't hung out recently but we still talk and FaceTime nonstop so I don't know why I'm getting these feelings.

"Cody, you can go in now." The receptionist mentioned.

Cody walked towards the hallway to the right and disappeared into Mr. Green's office. Not too long after, she called me back to Mr. Davis' office. I practically ran down there and he met me at the door.

"How has your last week been Eryk? How was your camping trip?" He asked politely as he offered me my usual seat.

"Very nice, thank you. I had a lot of fun and I got to spend time with a good friend." It felt weird referring to Natalie as a friend after what happened at the cabin but there was no need to tell my therapist the specifics.

"That's good, I'm very glad you enjoyed some time off." He took his notepad he had specifically for me and scribbled down the date. "Why don't you lead today's conversation?"

"Well, I've been experiencing certain phases of nervousness. It's really weird, I feel almost like a wave in my chest as if someone was hollowing my heart out, and the I get dizzy or a little nauseous."

"Mhmm," he scribbled something down. "do you have difficulty focusing?"

"Not that I've noticed." I spread my arms along the back the chair to try to settle my nerves. "But there are times where I get overly anxious about something..." I grew quiet as I started to get the feelings I was describing.

He looked up from his notepad, studying me as if I were just a puzzle he was trying to solve.

"Go ahead."

I looked down and shook my head, "I-I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"When you're ready we'll proceed." He put his pen down on the notepad.

A few minutes of absolute silence had passed, neither of us said a word and I avoided making eye contact with him. He poured me a glass of water while sighing, occasionally shooting a smile my way as he patiently waited for me. The feeling was still in my chest and it felt impossible to utter even a single word right now so I just picked at the bottom of my jeans.

"Your silence is becoming deafening." He said politely. "I think you're beginning to develop abandonment issues."

"But I haven't been abandoned." I narrowed my eyes and tried to think of someone who deserted me. "There's no one..."

"Abandonment doesn't just mean physical absence, it can also mean mental and I think your mother would be the one."

"Excuse me?" I found myself tightly gripping my jeans now.

"Your mother was seemingly helpless during the abuse you all suffered, you told me that she was rarely around. She was a victim, maybe a considerate one when she was around you, but a victim nonetheless and I think you didn't receive the attention a child needs in order to develop a healthy mentality...the lack of affection, nurturing, and leadership has developed into your mind over time and so there is a large gap. The duty your mother had to these..."

"Don't say a word against my mother!" I barked at him.

"I'm not saying it was her fault, Eryk I'm only trying to explain why you get these unusual feelings and why you may feel emotionally behind at times."