Chapter 35

CHARLIE'S POV:

He cracked the door open and peered inside, not knowing that I was sitting on the couch waiting for him. After he carefully and slowly opened the door and manually shut the screen door so it wouldn't slam shut like it usually does, he looked up the stairs to see if any lights were on before removing his jacket. Realizing he wasn't being as attentive as I thought he would be, I cleared my throat to get his attention.

"Oh Charlie..." he jumped. "I forgot something in the car so I went outside to get it."

"Oh okay, what'd you forget?" I looked down at his hands, clearly seeing that there was nothing there.

"Just my..." he began.

"Do you really want to continue this charade?" I walked to him with my arms folded. "Because my patience are growing thin Eryk."

He took a deep breath and put the keys inside his pocket, realizing his defeat and failed attempt to convince me that he didn't break his curfew.

"Do you know what time it is?"

"I don't have a watch." He responded.

"Don't sharp-shoot me right now young man, you're already in a lot of trouble. I have one, so you can read it." I shoved my wrist into his face. "Now."

"It's 11:42." He took a step back.

"Yes, and you're curfew is when?" I bridged the gap between us, practically forcing him against the door.

"11 p.m."

"So you're forty-two minutes late, why don't you go have a seat on the couch?" I gave him a disappointing glare. "Oh and for your attempted lie and smart comments I wouldn't get too comfy."

He sighed through his nose before shifting to the couch. I took a breath and settled my nerves now that I know he's home and safe.

"What were your doing?" I walked in front of him, standing in front of the table between him and I.

"I was just at my friends house. I lost track of time."

"Were you drinking?" I asked bluntly.

"Ugh," he rolled his eyes. "no Charlie I wasn't drinking. I was driving." He said defensibly.

"Eryk you've already exhausted my patience and have earned a punishment. Now you can still control the severity of the punishment so I suggest you start answering me more properly." I said sternly. "Am I clear?"

He stopped and considered this, "Yes sir."

"That's better. Now I don't want to wake Cody, so go out to the garage." I started to unbuckle my belt.

Noticing that I was intentionally wearing a much thicker one than usual, he dangled his head to the side in frustration. He should have known this was coming, I never go back on a punishment.

"Get moving Eryk, I would like to go to bed soon." I taunted him.

He got up slowly and started heading for the garage while I turned off the lamp on the endstand near the front door. I ran upstairs to check on Cody one last time to make sure he wasn't awake but he remained sound asleep. I noticed he was edging off the side of his bed so I positioned him better and covered him more.

"Yeah, you just rest easy there buddy." I whispered before running my hand through his hair.

I started to make my way down the stairs, scooping the belt off the couch where I left it, and out the back-door ready to deal with my oldest son. When I found him, he was facing the tool-wall with his hands on the back of his neck, stressing immensely about what is to come.