Chapter 25

I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and I instantly jumped off my bed and moved to the other side of the room in preparation. I still haven't had my final talk with Charlie about school today or about the "attitude" I gave him when I got home.

"Dinner will be ready in ten minutes." Eryk came inside.

Thank God it was him and not Charlie.

"Do you want to talk to me about school before your meeting with Charlie?" He asked with a smile as he changed his shirt since his was drenched in sweat from the gym.

"I just had a really bad day." I moved back to my own bed and sat down. "I don't think I did so well on my English exam because I forgot to read one of the stupid stories even though it wasn't on the study guide he gave us, then I was embarrassed because the teacher lectured me about not having another pencil, and everyone at school was talking about these vacations they're taking before school begins and I got sad because I never got to take a vacation with mom!"

"Woah, okay, okay, calm down." He put his hands up to calm me down but it just made me more frantic. "You forgot to bring a pencil to your exam?" He smirked and tried to get me to smile.

"What? No, mine broke and I didn't have a spare. Jesus Eryk, were you even listening to anything I said? That's what you make a comment about?!"

"Shh, okay, take a breath." He put deodorant on before coming and sitting down next to me.

Good thing too because he really smelled weird like lunch meat.

"I'm sorry you had a long day at school, but trust me I've been there before. I know its hard to hear people talk about their families, especially their mothers, and experience that feeling you get because there's something missing and you feel left out. You can't let that affect your mood though, be happy for people and don't be bitter because it'll ruin you."

"Have you ever went a trip with mom?"

He took a deep breath and looked at me like he was thinking about lying. "Yes, me and her went camping once. We made s'mores, looked at the stars, went swimming in the lake..." He looked down and took another deep breath. "she was my best friend....."

I smiled up at him and he put his arm around my shoulders.

"But now you're my best friend....maybe one day I'll take you camping, you just have to stay out of trouble." He raised his eyebrows and smiled at me.

"I don't want to have a talk with Charlie tonight." I sighed and laid back on the bed.

"You have to, you are extremely lucky he didn't belt you down for talking to him like that."

"Why do you always take his side?"

"I'm not taking his side...I've just been there and I know enough about respect to know you were way out of line. You need to watch yourself."

"Yeah, yeah, I know."

"Come on, let's get dinner. Charlie made chili."

___________________________________
*Knock knock*

"Come in."

I slowly creaked his door open to find Charlie at his desk, filling out some papers without even looking to see that it was me at the door.

"Hi Charlie." I said quietly, unsure of how to start the conversation.

I really hope it's not a long one, tonight is movie night with me and Eryk and we're watching Terminator 2. Plus Eryk is in our bedroom with popcorn and I know he'll eat it all before the movie even starts. He always does.