Chapter 36

ERYK'S POV:

My alarm went off, nearly causing me to fall out bed and onto the floor. The brightness of my lamp was enough to almost blind me, which ironically made me want to close my eyes even more and return to my sleep but I knew there was no way I could. It was time to start my daily dosage of chores for being grounded after last nights episode. Charlie always told me that mowing the lawn as early as possible was best if you didn't want to suffer in the sun all day. Sometimes I honestly question whether or not waking up two hours earlier is worth it.

I threw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt before tying my tennis shoes. Pinching my face in an effort to wake my body up, I looked over at how sound asleep Cody was. We both had a rough week, obviously his was much more severe, nevertheless I think we could both use a break. School starts in a few weeks and I can only imagine how much worse things will be then, more expectations from Charlie means more room for screw ups.

"What're you doing?" He said half asleep.

"Going to cut the grass, go back to sleep. I'll make breakfast when I'm finished."

Slumping over, he yawned and gave a half-assed nod. I pulled the door shut behind me and crossed the hall towards Charlie's room. There was a fifty-fifty shot that he'd be awake and I know I'm risking a lot, but I can't cut the grass without the keys to the shed.

*knock, knock* I started off softly, that way if he was asleep I wouldn't cause too much of a fuss.

"Come in." I jumped in shock at his response.

I turned the knob slowly and let myself in, I then found him sitting on his bed with his boots clustered on the floor.

"Can I have the keys to the shed?"

"What for?" He knelt down and checked under his bed, more than likely searching for another pair of shoes.

"To mow the lawn." I motioned out his window, which I soon realized served no purpose since he couldn't see the lawn from where he was.

"It's already cut."

I should have guessed that from the sweat on his forehead and the little pieces of grass sticking to the bottom of his pants.

"Oh..." I stood there like an idiot.

Actually, I am an idiot. How did I not hear the mower going off this morning? The yard is literally right outside of our window.

"Then maybe I'll go make some break..."

"That's finished too." He shot me a smirk and raised his eyebrows. "You have other things to do, is that what you're wearing to the building?"

Building? What building?

"You didn't forget, did you? The center opens at 8 a.m. and we need to get going."

Completely in shock, I stood there mute. I didn't know what to say nor did I know how to even guess my way out of this situation.

"Why are you standing there? Go wake Cody." He motioned towards his door.

I nodded my head before turning on my heels to dart towards my room. Cody wasn't going to be happy that I'm waking him up ten seconds after I told him to go back to sleep. I shook his shoulder and turned on the big light, encouraging him to wake up and get dressed.

"You just told me to go back to sleep you jerk." He yawned.

"I know, I know but hurry and get dressed. We need to go."

"Go? Go where?" He went to his closet and started getting his clothes.

"To take my practice test for the SAT." It finally dawned on me after repeating it.