Chapter 53

CHARLIE'S POV:

Turning around the tree, I brought the lawn mower back inside the shed before I run into something else. Cody and Eryk were more than likely still asleep, so I have time for solemn contemplation on what to do with my non-existing relationship with Cody.

Maybe it was because dad felt the need to be more strict with him as he had been absent from his life for about five years, as his birth mother separated them. Is that what I am doing? Have I subconsciously resorted to the same approach I witnessed between my dad and brother?

I don't know if I'm more strict with him than I am Eryk, but I guess it's fair to say that I'm as strict with him as I am with Eryk. Which isn't fair. Eryk is older which means naturally he holds more burdens of responsibility and is held to a higher standard, but he also has years of my discipline under his belt. Cody shouldn't be subjected to the same standard. He's seen and faced too many unimaginable things, things I've never had to approach when disciplining Eryk at a young age.

That outburst he had the day we went shopping really peaked my parenting methods. He said it so loudly, so fierce, almost as if it were strangling him. Announcing it as if he didn't say it as loud as he did, or as quick, then he'd never have another chance to get it out. And maybe that's because I expected him to adapt too quickly. Just because I could anticipate what he would say next doesn't mean I shouldn't allow him to say it anyway. He shouldn't be silenced.

My dad never gave us the opportunity to speak, to voice our concerns or emotions, and looking back on that, it created a sturdy barrier between my relationship with him. And it certainly did for Bryan, who now takes himself too seriously and rarely knows how to process his emotions.

I love my brother, but I wouldn't want my son to end up that way. Neither of them.

Audrey always reassured me that I was patient with Eryk, allowing and encouraging him to speak before and after punishments as long as he did it respectfully. I wanted him to explain his thought process and feelings for reflection, not just to himself, but to me and her. Obviously there were times when I had doubt that what I was doing was correct, but I think every parent experiences that. Eryk and I always worked our way through it in the end...

I climbed the stairs, eager to speak to my inconsiderate son who was probably avoiding me like the plague. He was sent to his room after Audrey explained everything to Mr. Donaldson, and then to the police and surrounding neighbors. What a nightmare that must have been. Not to mention extremely frightening.

"Eryk?" I called into his empty room, but that was only at first glance. I know he's in here somewhere. "You're already in a lot of trouble, I suggest you don't make it any worse."

I'm on afternoon this week, but left work immediately when I got the call. Luckily there was someone there to cover for me...but I would have left in a heartbeat even if they refused. The only thing in my way was the forty-five minute drive from work to home, which gave me a lot of time to suffocate myself with my own thoughts of what could have happened.

"Don't make me say it again." I threatened, feeling my nerves tense.

He knows what's coming, the one he dreads the most too. He calls them 'bed spankings,' although I'm not sure if that's because he'll be sent to bed right after or because he felt like sleeping afterwards since they were usual the most severe ones.

His closet door opened, and he squeezed out from under the covers he piled on top of himself. I don't know why he tried hiding, stalling only makes everything worse in my opinion.

"There you are," I grabbed the sides of his shoulders and picked him up, bringing him to the open center. "are you okay?"

He nodded, "I'm okay."