Chapter 28

CODY'S POV:

I didn't sleep very much last night, I don't know whether it was the embarrassment of being dragged from Greg's house at eleven o'clock at night or if it was from Charlie's searing threat of my punishment today. I'm such an idiot, why did I let Greg talk me into making prank calls? And he's such an idiot for making a prank call to the police. What an amateur.  I turned over and looked at the clock; 8:07 a.m. and I realized that it was time for me to get out of bed.

I rolled out of bed and checked the window, Charlie wasn't in the yard and there was no sign of Eryk so I didn't even have anyone here to have my back. Not that he'd be much help, but he could at least talk me into calming down so my hands would stop shaking. I changed my clothes, trying to find the thickest pair of pants possible just in case Charlie decides to have mercy on me, but I didn't have much to work with since I only have school clothes and sweatpants. I opened my bedroom door and peaked my head out. Coast is clear.

"In here." Charlie called from his bedroom.

Damn. Spoke too soon. I took a deep breath and opened his door completely to find that he was making his bed. Crap, I forgot to do that.

"We have a lot to discuss, take a seat." He spoke a lot more calm since his spasm last night in the truck.

I sat down in the chair across from his desk but I turned my back to make sure I was facing him, he likes to be looked at when speaking. He finished tucking the corners of his comforter into the edges of his bed for a sharp crease before coming to his side of the desk.

"Let me start by telling you how my night went. First, I get a call from Greg's father who was concerned that you boys were making prank phone calls and that Greg needed to be disciplined so you had to come home. As if that was not embarrassing enough, I had to apologize to him again after receiving another phone call stating that the police came to his house."

I gulped.

"Not only did the people receiving numerous prank calls phone in the police to report it, one of them claiming that one of the phone calls was an apparent robbery, but the police department itself received one from you. Unfortunately for you, you failed to mention that last night when I came and picked you up."

He put his knuckles on the top of the desk and leaned forward, his height was towering over me and his muscled arms were clenched.

"Do you have any idea how serious this is? You never, never call the police unless it's an absolute emergency." His voice began to rise. "Aside from that, making prank phone calls is immature and is not something that will be tolerated here!"

I rolled my eyes and took another deep breath. Okay, I admit calling the police was stupid and Greg never should have done it but I was the one who stopped him.

"They were just prank calls, it's not that big of a deal Charlie. And I wasn't even the one who prank called the police! Greg did that!"

"What did you just say to me?"

He came around to my side of the desk and I instantly shrunk back into the chair. Crouching down at eye level now, he stared at me for a few minutes with dark eyes before saying;

"You really think now is a good time to raise your voice to me? And you think it's 'no big deal'?" He shoved his finger into my chest repeatedly, which caused an uncomfortable pain each time. "Answer me!"

"No sir." I said through my gritted teeth.

"Your attitude ends now Cody." He said slowly, which only increased my fear of him.

He backed away and returned to his side of the desk to calm down. I watched as he himself took a few deep breaths with his eyes closed so he wouldn't burst into flames.