Chapter 55

This will more than likely be the last POV from Eryk for a while! I hope you're all doing well and staying safe! Thanks so much for reading! ~ K.A.

ERYK'S POV: 

"Are you feeling okay?" Mr. Davis asked, taking a seat across from me. "You seem a bit distracted today." 

"Fine, I'm fine. I just...something happened right before I came here. Something that I haven't seen before." 

"Would you like to tell me about it?" He asked politely, pulling out his infamous blue pen and large legal pad. 

I wasn't sure how to begin, especially since I'm still trying to piece everything together myself. There was something about the whole conversation between Cody and Charlie that was toying with my mind. It seemed like a step in the right direction, but now all I can think about was whether or not I'd be able to function properly in military school. 

"I, I'm starting to doubt my decision of going to military school." 

His eyes widened, "Why's that?" 

"Charlie called Cody into the dining room, just before I came here and, well he apologized to Cody. He apologized about how he had been parenting him; holding Cody to the same expectations as he does me, about treating Cody as if he had raised him himself...he said it wasn't fair to him and that he was sorry."

Mr. Davis nodded, narrowing his eyes afterwards. "It sounds like a good breakthrough for their relationship." He was confused about my disturbed feelings, which was understandable. 

"It was good, on Charlie's part. I don't think Cody is ready to open up to another person." 

"From what I hear from Mr. Green, Cody is doing well..."

"You didn't see him sitting at that table with Charlie." Folding my hands, trying to keep the pressure contained, I leaned forward and rested my elbows on my knees. 

He sat back in his chair, quietly studying me as he waited for me to explain. 

"Right before we made up, he told me that we barely had a relationship now and then he, he practically was begging me not to go away. What if he never opens up to Charlie? What if...what if I leave and there's no one there for him to open up to?"

Mr. Davis closed his notebook and adjusted his position so he was sitting more forward. "Eryk, sometimes..."

"I mean, you're a doctor, what would that do to Cody? Psychologically?" 

He took a deep breath, "It could really hinder his social construct. But, do you have faith that Charlie will do everything he can to be understanding and genuine with Cody?" 

"Yes, of course I do. If anything, today assured me of that. I've never seen Charlie so straightforward about something that made him feel insecure...but I don't know if Cody will ever be able to do that without someone else there." I coughed some, trying to keep my voice steady. "He's been through so much and he doesn't deserve...." 

Leaning forward, he edged the box of tissues on the coffee table toward me. My eyes had been glassy since I set foot in here but now tears were cascading down my face. I took a deep breath and wiped them away, trying to calm myself down. This past week has been nothing but absolute pressure that I've been trying to suffer in silence.  

"Aside from the obvious; Charlie's absence, do you think there is anything else that is holding Cody back from reaching out to him?"

I could think of a thousand images running through my mind; horrible, horrible things Cody and I have suffered from Jeff and our life at the old house. Things that would haunt anyone.