Chapter 19

Charlie lectured us for another hour on what it means to be responsible and how drinking could impact us legally and then ruin our futures. I think it impacted my backside pretty bad and that the lecture was unnecessary. He gave us a long list of chores to do for the night and then finish tomorrow.

Most of the chores were really unusual, not like the ones that Jeff used to give us. Tonight we had to clean the kitchen and the dining room, tomorrow we have to power wash the garage, cut the grass, vacuum the porch, wash Charlie's truck when he gets home, re-clean the downstairs after dinner, and pick the weeds out of the vegetable garden.

After dinner, Eryk and I spent the night scrubbing the steps, the hallway, and the bathroom with sponges. The stupid pine wood polish annoyed my nose every time I dipped the sponge into the bucket and started a new stair and my hands were turning into raisins.

"Where's that list?" Eryk asked as he wiped his nose and stood to stretch.

"In my back pocket."

"Make sure it's in there, don't let it fall out and get wet."

"Yeah, yeah, I know."

"No I mean it." He came halfway down the steps. "If we lose that we're in deep crap."

"He's right Cody, I won't give you another list because you lost that one." Charlie appeared from the bottom of the stairs to inspect. "I want this finished in fifteen minutes and then I want you both in bed."

Eryk checked his watch, "It's only 8:30?"

Charlie raised his eyebrows and shot Eryk a warning look.

"Come on Cody, finish the steps so I can do the hallway." He said with a sigh.

We managed to finish the stairs and steps just in time for Charlie to send us off to bed. My knees hurt from the wood and my hands felt damp. I was actually relieved to jump into my soft bed after the chore routine.

"Eryk what happens if we don't finish the list before Charlie comes home?"

"One of two things; either he makes us finish them and then makes us write, or he'll..." he stopped because he knew that I knew what he meant.

"Oh, do you think we'll finish them?"

"If we wake up early. I'll set my alarm for 7."

"7? Eryk I'm tired!"

"Which is why Charlie sent us to bed early. Trust me Cody, this isn't my first punishment like this. Now get some rest, goodnight."

"Yeah, goodnight." I threw my head back onto my pillow and sighed heavily, waiting for my eyes to close.
________________________________
ERYK'S POV

"Cody." I shook his shoulder but he was out. "Hey Cody come on. It's time to wake up."

He slumped around and pulled his covers over his head before yawning.

"I don't want to wake up."

"Too bad, let's go. We need to get started on this list so we can finish before Charlie come's home."

"Screw him." He sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"Hey," I smacked him on the shoulder. "don't say that again."

"Did you shit the bed this morning?"

"No but you shouldn't say something like that about family. So get up, now." I said more sternly this time.

He rolled out of bed and followed me downstairs. I made him waffles so he would stop complaining so much and they seemed to have perked him up enough for me to lay out the game plan.