Chapter 2

"Your mother didn't have anything to leave in her will but she does have one request."

       "What is it?" Eryk asked as he shifted in his chair.

       "That you both go on and live with your biological father."

Biological father? He was just put away. I turned towards the attorney but Eryk's attention seemed to be focused on me.

       "There's a mistake, Jeff is our..."

       "Cody we need to talk about something." Eryk interrupted.

      "I'll let you boys have a few minutes." He stood up, buttoned his blazer, and then walked out of the office.

       "What does he mean biological father?"

       "We have a dad, a real dad, his name is Charlie. Him and mom split up before you were born and she married Jeff a few months after. Jeff isn't our blood relative, he was only our stepfather."

       "You mean to tell me that we've tolerated that asshole for so many years and he wasn't even our dad?!"

       "Calm down Cody, remember it was mom's choice. There was nothing Charlie could do, she didn't ever want to associate with him so me and her let you believe that Jeff was your dad."

       "I have contacted him," the attorney said as he peeked his head in, "he'll be here in an hour."

       I sat back and all I could think of was how miserable we were with Jeff. To find out that he wasn't even blood is fueling my hatred for him. Eryk has never lied to me before, mom hasn't either, and now I feel betrayed because they let me believe this horrible lie. Mom used to tell me that I have to love Jeff unconditionally because he was my dad so I was never allowed to be truly mad at him. I have so many questions but I couldn't find the courage to ask them.

       "Have you ever met him?"

       "Yes, I would stay with him sometimes on the weekends." He said honestly.

       "You never told me!"

       "There were a lot of things I couldn't tell you Cody." He closed his eyes and sighed.

We both walked out of the building to get some air and to have a smoke.

       "Wait, why were you allowed to go see him?" I asked as I threw a cigarette at him.

        "I wasn't," he smiled as he lit both cigarettes. "mom never knew about it. I would tell her that I had to stay after school on Fridays to go to forensics club and then beg her to let me stay at a friends house' on the weekends sometimes."

       "This is bullshit." I said bitterly as I took a long puff to try to ease my nerves. "You guys should have told me."

       "Mom had her reasons and she made me promise to protect you from it. You know I could never break a promise to mom."

       "But you sure as hell did lie to her."

       "I know," he said with a guilty face. "I know."

We heard voices right outside of the attorney's office and Eryk took one last puff before he threw his cigarette on the ground and stepped on it.

        "What are you doing? You just wasted half a cigarette." I said as he cleared the smoke around him and dusted off his hands.

        "Take a deep breath Cody, you're about to meet Charlie."