Chapter 12

~ A week later. ~

Eryk went out with his friends and I was left at home alone. It never occurred to me that Eryk would have more friends in the beginning because he used to come here on some weekends, which pretty much means he had a good head start, but they were too old for me to hang out with them. So I'm just sitting at home, watching the baseball game and trying to waste time until Eryk or Charlie gets here. I couldn't keep my hands from shaking because, even though I spent a lot of time alone when we lived with Jeff, I was alone by choice this time and not because I was trying to hide from someone or other people like mom and Eryk had things to do. I didn't get Charlie's permission to go anywhere and he wouldn't allow me anyway without Eryk walking me to Josh's. Sure I had Greg but his parents don't usually let him go anywhere or do anything and I still feel like I won't see him as much when school actually starts.

"Cody." I heard the door open and Charlie walked inside.

"Hey Charlie." I said quickly before returning to the game, trying to make it look like there was nothing bothering me.

He walked over to the table, took the remote, and turned off the tv.

"Hey! I was watching..." I said defensively but he shot me a look and I got quiet. Great. What am I in trouble for now?

"Read this." He handed me a half crumbled piece of paper.

It was my progress report from the summer classes he enrolled me in. I was failing history.
"I'm not doing so well in history." I said quietly as he folded his arms.

"Oh, you're not doing so well? You're failing. And, on top of this, read the comment section under history."

I glanced down and started reading Mr. Myer's comments.

"Out loud."

I rolled my eyes and began; "Cody is a very bright young man but he is too distracted...by trying to impress his classmates. He has been very disruptive this past week and has been swearing often in class."

Trying to impress his classmates? I wanted to tell Charlie that there are kids in the class who make fun of the teacher and the subject and I get too caught up in that but he wouldn't listen. I also make jokes with Greg way too much. But the guys from the first day have actually left me alone and started talking to me sometimes, especially when making jokes. Charlie never listens until after he punishes you.

"So we have three problems; the failing grade, being disruptive in class, and swearing. I think I'm going to have to do what my dad did to me when I had these problems."

"Don't do this because I'm failing."

"It's not just failing, that's a major part of it because you waited so long to address this problem, but I've warned you constantly about being disrespectful and about swearing."

"History is so boring and hard and I've been trying to get these guys to stop bugging me..."

"You could have asked the teacher, myself, and even Eryk for help but you chose to just ignore it. Now, ask me where I found that paper Cody."

"In the trash?" I stashed it in there pretty deep the night before Charlie took it out so I didn't think he'd be able to find it. "How'd you find it?"

"Does that matter? You hid it from me."

I sighed and looked down at the ground. This week has been really rough because everyone in class has a friend group except me, I guess I have been ignoring school work because of it and been too focused on that. Greg hasn't introduced me to anyone new so I feel like it's just me and him. Sometimes I turn around and make jokes with the older kids but somehow I always get caught. I'm not dumb, I promise, it's just sometimes I get too caught up in my feelings and I forget about everything else.