Catchup

"Woohoo! It's lunch time baby!" Mina shouts from on top of her desk with a bright smile.

Dad immediately wraps her in bindings and takes her off of it.

"Just because it is lunch period does not mean you all can act like hooligans."

"Right," Mina sheepishly agrees while rubbing where she landed.

Denki walks up to my desk and asks me if I want to sit with him at lunch, kind of like Mina did on my first day.

"Not so fast," Dad says walking up behind him.

I feel like I can see an actual arrow go through Denki's heart and take the wind out of his sails.

"You two are behind on a weeks worth of school work which is essentially a months worth for a normal school, not to mention the training you're behind on. Until you've caught up you'll be taking your lunch in here and working as you eat."

"But-,"

Denki tries to interrupt but my dad is having none of it today and almost instantaneously wraps him in bindings.

"Any objections?"

Denki feverishly shakes his head and is then dropped.

"Mr. Cementos will supervise you and you'll have two peer mentors who have volunteered their time to help catch you up. You can ask any of the teachers for help but do not wake me up."

And with that, like in typical fashion, Dad envelopes himself in his yellow sleeping bag and collapses on the floor.

"Well this blows," Denki pouts, plopping down into the seat besides me.

"It could be worse," I shrug.

"Yea, you could not be here," he smiles at me.

I look down and try to change the topic.

"How is your arm doing-,"

"Shinso can I ask you something?"

I'm a little confused why he used my family name but I urge him to continue.

"Would you ever consider maybe,"

"H-hello," a voice interrupts from the doorway.

"Hey," another chimes.

The both of us look at the same time and see Midoriya and Todoroki standing in the doorway.

"We're your peer tutors," Midoriya states in an unsure tone.

Mr. Cementos appears behind the two startling them both though Todoroki seems less phased. I greet them back as they walk over and take their seats in front of us. They turn the desks around so that we're face to face. I look over to Denki and he's sitting with his head slumped over a little so that his hair is in the way of his face and I notice that he's picking at his cuticles a little bit.

"Shinso?"

"Yes?"

"Which subject?" Midoriya asks me.

"What?"

"I said which subject would you like to start with."

"Is history ok?" I respond snapped back into my head.

"Of course," Midoriya smiles brightly.

There's something warm and innocent about his smile that's comforting. Especially when you take into account all the stuff he's been through. It's like he's silently saying no matter how tough it gets you can still smile.

"I wanna do history too." Denki speaks up from beside me.

When I look to him he's already looking my direction with a very focused expression. I guess we'll have to see who can learn faster.

-

After giving us the basic knowledge on the first chapter Midoriya and Todoroki decided to give us practice quizzes. I'm about halfway through when Denki suddenly shouts.

"Done!"

He whips his head over to me with fire in his eyes like beating me to finishing was his greatest accomplishment ever. The look of determination is honestly a good one for him. Todoroki and Midoriya take our quizzes and start to look over them.

"Shinsou, it looks like all of the questions that you answered were correct." Midoriya smiles to me.

"Kaminari-,"

"No need to say it- I got 100% didn't I?"

Todoroki looks over at Midoriya and shows him the text. Midoriya's face goes totally pale and he nervously looks up to Denki.

"Maybe you should look over your answers." He suggests but it comes out as a question.

"Why? There's no need to correct perfection." He smiles with his arms crossed securely over his chest.

Denki looks over and winks at me cockily.

"You got every question wrong," Todoroki states plainly.

Midoriya goes red in the face and scolds Todoroki for being so blunt in a hushed tone while Denki stays motionless.

"Check again," he says with a steady voice.

"There's nothing to check," Todoroki replies.

"Just check again," Denki commands his voice becoming slightly harsher.

"I already double and triple checked."

He stays silent. All of us do. The tension in the air is too obvious to ignore. All we can hear are the snores of our sleeping teacher and the quiet breathing of Mr. Cementos.

"Denki," I reach my hand out to him, "we can always study more."

"You mean you can? You probably just want to study with Midoriya all day. That's fine. I don't care. I mean, who even cares about the tools the Paleolithic people used? They clearly weren't effective. They're all dead."

Denki's tone escalates but his volume never does. He storms out of the classroom without bothering to retrieve his stuff and slamming the door loudly behind him.

"Is he okay?" Todoroki is the first to ask.

"Maybe we should go check on him," Midoriya says getting up.

"No, it's ok. I can go."

Hey y'all it's been a minute huh? I was feelin kinda down so I thought I'd update rq. Lemme know what you think about this chapter. I know it's not my best work so I'll probably rewrite it I still welcome your input :) stay safe drink water take ur meds :3