Goodnight - Part 3

Tuesday October 9, 7:00 PM- Sakura Pass

Denki and I continue our walk in the woods in a peaceful silence, hands interlocked. It's weird to think this boy I've known for less than a day has such an affect on me. It's even weirder to think he likes me too. I don't really trust it, if it's too good to be true it probably isn't. But for now I'm going to drink in his presence like it's oxygen.

"Do you hear that?" Denki asks me.

I listen intently and hear a distant, but heavy four on the floor beat.

"Yeah."

"It's probably that DJ that lives at the end of the neighborhood," he chuckles.

I knew it was my Papa, but I played dumb.

"Does he usually play music this loud?"

"Um yea dude, you live on the same street as him. If I can hear it from the other end of the neighborhood you should've heard it before," he laughs.

"I'm usually napping at this time of the afternoon," I half lie.

I do sleep around this time usually, but it's not long until Papa wakes me up with his music.

"Jeez, are you sure it's not just a light coma?"

"I'm a medical mystery," I laugh with Denki.

When he laughs everything about him screams happy. The way his eyes squint, the way the skin around his mouth wrinkles, the way he laughs loud with no restraint. It's dreamy, I'm sad I have to see him go.

"Denki?"

"Yea, what's up?" He asks stopping and looking up at me with a small remnant of his grin still lingering on his round face.

"It's getting kind of late. I don't want you to walk alone in the dark."

"Are ditching me?" He asks offended.

"No, no I just don't want anything to happen to you especially since-,"

"It's okay. I know what you mean."

I exhale the bubble that was building up in my chest.

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

I nod my head in response.

Denki smiles and stands on his toes to reach me.

I lean down to meet him halfway and our lips meet. I never want to pull away, but eventually we do. I pull Denki into a hug and say goodnight.

"Goodnight Toshi."

And with that he walks off down the path. I watch him walk until he disappears into the trees. Then I make my way to my own house. As the music gets louder I know I'm getting closer. It gets more and more ear piercing until I'm right next to the source. I didn't expect the path to continue on behind my house. I never knew it was here. I've lived here my whole life, I guess I really don't get out much.

I walk through the small amount of trees to my backyard and climb through the broken portion of fence from when my parents launched me off of the trampoline. I knock on the deck door but nobody comes to unlock it. I turn the knob and surprisingly it's unlocked. I walk in and the music is even louder than it was from outside.

"DAD, PAPA!" I call out at the top of my lungs.

There's no response, but I hear stomping feet so I go upstairs. I walk down the hallway to my Papa's self titled "Rave Cave". I open the door to find my Dad dancing around the room with a big smile on his face. It's rare to see him so openly giddy but Papa has that effect on him.

I wonder if Denki and I will ever be like that.