17

───

───

     HIMARI WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS. she thought the shogunate had summoned her to have some tea and biscuits, but no.

the woman was now kneeling in front of ashikaga — who was behind a mesh curtain for some reason — meanwhile the other daimyos and a few selected samurais were present, silently observing.

     himari tried to breathe as quietly as possible, as she could feel the tension squeeze the sweat out of her.

     "lady himari, I've recently heard that you'd added females to your samurai squad, is that true?", ashikaga questioned, making himari nervous for some reason.

     "indeed, my lord. I hope I didn't offend you in any way", himari politely responded.

     "no no, not at all. it's just...don't you think that it's a bit silly?"

     "pardon my slowness, but what does my lord find silly?"

     "perhaps it's the fact that my lady has picked females to join her little army. quite a joke if you ask me", one of the daimyos chimed in, causing the others to burst into laughter.

himari had to momentarily close her eyes from lashing out at them, as she was now in a professional setting.

     the red-haired woman could physically see how ashikaga's wife looked, as her downcast expression had conveyed that she was already used to this.

     "I don't think it's a joke", himari honestly stated, making the chuckles cease.

     "since ancient times, woman have always been below us. it's how—"

     "may I ask why? who made the rules that women are to serve men?", himari boldly questioned, making rumi grip tightly onto the hem of her kimono.

"if I remember correctly, amaterasu — the sun goddess — is a woman. she was said to have embodied all feminine qualities that were embraced and admired. and in the third century, the female ruler: pimiko — can solely advocate as evidence for how women can pertain a good sense of order and perfection".

     everyone stayed silent, as they all listened to the auburn-haired woman.

     himari's brilliant, yet devious, emerald eyes looked towards the front, ignoring all the patronizing stares, as she held no qualms.

     least to say, tōji, sukuna, nanami, and the rest were quite surprised at how poised the woman spoke, with her decorous words.