Part 35 ~ Good Luck, Break a Leg

~ Falling

The wind whipped past Levi's thin face, his expression contorted with pain and desperation as he fell towards the ground, and towards Eren. Eren's limbs were spread-eagled, pressed backwards by the force of the air, slowing his fall slightly. This allowed Levi, his body taut and stretched like an arrow, to fall next to the boy, and then reach out and grab the flailing arm of the brunette. Levi pulled Eren towards him, the ground nearing them at a frighteningly fast pace, then let go and looped his arm around the brunette's waist instead.

"I've got you..." he shouted, pointing his blade at the nearest tree and firing the grappling hook into the bark. He swung round the trunk, a mere ten metres from the ground. Eren's limp body hung from his arm, a trail of blood coming from the side of his mouth. Petra and Gunther swooped down a minute later, panting.

"We killed it." Stated Petra, exhausted but seemingly unscathed, but Gunther sported numerous painful scrapes and bruises. "It grabbed Gunther and smashed him into a tree, and we think his leg is broken, but nothing else, thank goodness...how is Eren?" she asked. Before Levi had time to answer, Gunther shot a grappling hook upwards and slowly hoisted himself up until he was twenty metres up in the air, then pulled himself onto a branch.

"Come up here, then you're out of reach of... TITAN!" he finished suddenly, screaming the last word. Petra grabbed the unconscious Eren and shot up into the air, but Levi hesitated for a second as he gathered his strength. A second too long. He was already flying up into the air as he felt a burning agony in his thigh. Screaming and blind with pain, he felt arms hoist him up the remaining metres to safety as he faded into unconsciousness.