Part 20 ~ Danchou

~ The Breakfast Room

"Want more toast cutie?" Levi asked, his bread already glistening with strawberry jam in the warm sunlight flooding through the windows. Petra suddenly slammed her fists onto the table and stood up, knocking over her drink.

"Shut up with all these cheesy endearments!" she shouted, "if you're gonna reject me at least don't be cruel about it!" a big tear splashed in the redhead's coffee before she turned and fled from the room, a sob clawing its way up her throat. Levi shot a look at Eren and then ran after her. She was fast, but he was faster, and he caught up with her just as she was running through the courtyard to her room.

"Petra. Wait." The captain said calmly, putting his hand on her shoulder and pulling her into a hug. "I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was being cruel. I'm sorry." Petra was just a few inches shorter than him, but he rested his cheek on her head. Her hair smelt of sunshine and peaches, and the strands that tickled his cheek were a bright gold instead of ginger in the morning light. She was beautiful and kind and had an amazing personality, but his heart belonged to Eren. As Petra lifted her head up slowly Levi looked down at her with kindly, his eyes changing from steely grey to a soft silver with the tender look.

"I love you, Levi. I'm sorry but I can't hide it... I'm in love with you and my feelings aren't going to change. I shouldn't be on the squad while I feel like this towards you, it would upset the team chemistry... I'm going to go home tomorrow, maybe help my father on his farm..." more tears trickled from her eyes. Even Levi's eyes pricked.

"No. Please don't leave." The man uttered hoarsely and Petra's heart jumped.

"What reason is there to stay..." she said sadly, her amber eyes so full of heart break and wretchedness that Levi thought she might shatter. He held her tighter so she wouldn't break. She was closer than a sister to him...but his feeling were platonic...but she had to stay...what about Eren...

Then he kissed her. It was a gentle kiss, not full of passion because he didn't feel passion. He felt love, although it wasn't the kind of love Petra longed for. He didn't love her like he loved Eren, but she had to stay, for the sake of humanity, for him... his hand rested softly on her silky hair and his lips remained on hers for another few seconds before he pulled away. Petra's eyes were closed, an expression of bliss and desolation mixing on her face. She slowly put her hand to her lips as if to hold the memory there a bit longer, then opened her eyes.

"Stay with me." Levi begged. Petra just nodded and embraced him once more. Silence enveloped them.

A pained sob broke the peace of the courtyard and Levi turned just in time to see Eren disappear along the corridor.

"Eren!!"