Part 36 ~ The Last Leg of the Journey

~ The Final Base

Levi woke up to a soft bed, a cool breeze, and...agony. His left thigh was on fire, the pain like lighting through his body, but strangely he felt no pain the rest his leg... he gathered his wits and slowly lifted up the blanket thrown over him.

"Shit."

His left leg was gone. Cut off halfway up his thigh. A massive swath of bandages covered the area, blood staining the material in some places. He might still be able to fight, but his manoeuvrability would be severely taxed. The thought of wooden or synthetic legs flashed through his mind and he fell back onto his bed groaning...It could have been worse. At least he was alive! But what about Eren?! Was Eren okay? Desperation to know filled him and he tried calling out. Immediately a man he didn't know entered the room. This was the first time Levi took in his surroundings. A small room with two big windows, both open. Pale cream walls and sparse furniture, all bleached with age, but still pretty. The smell of something sharp drifted through the windows on a soft breeze, but Levi couldn't think of exactly what it was.
He turned his attention back to the man.
It was Armin.

"Hello Captain, you're awake." He smiled. "Eren's been begging to see you ever since he was awake, but he broke his spine and has to stay in bed for a few hours until it's healed."

Of course. Fast healing, the perks of being a titan shifter. Relief washed through Levi.

"You...you got any pain killers?" he croaked, his worry for Eren over and pain taking centre stage. "h...hurts..."

"Yes, yes, of course, I'll get them right away!" said Armin, flustered, and bustled around preparing water and getting out various medicines from the drawer next to Levi's bed. The sight reminded him of a worried mother.
He told this to Armin.

"Well, Eren did promise to turn me into a lump of titan food if I didn't make sure you were okay." Armin grinned, not the slightest bit perturbed by the idea of becoming a nice, blond snack at the hands of his best friend. Levi chuckled, but the motion hurt too much, so he stopped.

"You should smile more." Remarked Armin. "You have a very nice smile."

Levi smiled.

"That's better." Said Armin. "Now just drink this and I'll let you see Eren in a few hours."

Levi took the medicine and soon drifted off into sleep, the painkillers taking effect straight away.