Part 24 ~ You Can Run, But You Can't Hide

~ Mikasa's POV

I walked with soft footsteps towards the broom cupboard where I'd just heard a crash. That had to be Eren... no-one went in the broom cupboard, all the cleaning was done by Levi, and the Captain was in his room...

"Eren?" I whisper tenderly as I inch open the creaky door, and motes of dust swirl like miniature galaxies orbiting each other in the streak of golden light that illuminated a slice of the dark cupboard. I'd already checked in here earlier, but I was in a rush to find him, and I wasn't thorough. "Eren I know you're in here...please, come out. It's only me. I won't hurt you...I'd never hurt you. You can trust me, I won't tell Levi that I found you yet..." as I mention the possibly vertically challenged Captain, I hear a sob from the recesses of the cupboard. Relief floods through me. He was here after all. I quickly slip into the storeroom and shut the door gently behind me. I fumble through the darkness, and I can almost taste Eren's despair in the gloom around me. Eventually I find him by almost falling over his leg, and crouch down beside him. After a slight hesitation, I pull him into a warm hug. Levi hurt my little brother. He's gonna pay for that, but right now Eren needs a bath, lots of comforting, and some food.

"C'mon, want me to run you a bath?" I ask softly, stroking his hair. At last he relaxes into my arms and starts sobbing quietly again as he nods. I don't say anything more, just stand up and pull him up with little effort. He's as light as a feather, I think affectionately, time to make him some food. I pick him up and carry him out of the cramped room, heading in the direction of the bathroom.

***

I drip a few drops of scented oil into the glistening water, then add bubble bath. However grown up Eren acts, he can still be so innocent and cute sometimes...he loves bubble bath. "That a bit better?" I ask as Eren steps into the bath and relaxes into the warm water. He insisted I stay with him, and of course I did. He's my brother, it doesn't overly bother me that he's naked, and he's going through things he definitely shouldn't have to. I clench my fists as I think about Levi, imagining what I'll do to him when he emerges from his room. I stir the water to create the bubbles a bit too enthusiastically and manage to soak myself. Eren giggles adorably and I ruffle his hair.

"Feel like some cake?" I grin at him and his face lightens considerably, "You can eat it in the water if you want, little merman." He smiles at this, and I know as long as I distract him from the Levi issue he'll be okay. "I'll be right back then." I tell him, and get up from my perch on the laundry basket near the door.

A few minutes later I return with a few slices of rich chocolate cake, and as I place down the plates on the side of the bath I feel a strong tug on my shirt from behind.

"Shit!" I shriek as I fall backwards into the tub, soaking the room and as I resurface I see Eren clutching his sides with laughter. "You don't get away with that, little bro. I'll beat you in a water fight any day." I snicker as I splash him and almost soak the cake next to him. He pulls it out of the way.

"Watch out for the cake!" he yelps, and takes a big forkful of the chocolate mess, still giggling. He moans in appreciation, and passes me my plate. Concluding that the water fight is over, I take the cake and dig in. I'm drenched, sitting in a bath full of mountains of shining bubbles in my clothes, the warm air kissing my wet skin, wolfing down cake with my little brother. It would be perfect if he wasn't so sad... suddenly I notice bruises flowering on his hands and forearms. Dismay fills me and I abandon my cake and grab his arm. The little bit of cake on his plate falls into the bath but I ignore it, along with his surprised shriek.

"You... Eren... y-you punched something that hard...?" tears fill my eyes and my anger at the Captain intensifies. The bruises fade in the glow of the candles and soft lights of the bathroom, but I can tell they will be massive blue and purple blotches in the morning. Why does my little brother have to fall for an asshole?

The world is a cruel place; but it's also very beautiful.