Part 33 ~ Rock-A-By-Baby

~ The Base

"You have no idea how glad I am that you're alive." Boomed Erwin as the squad landed next to a leaning shack and collapsed onto the coarse wood, exhausted. Mikasa immediately ran to Eren and pulled him into a big hug, dragging him away from the 60 meter drop to the ground that was only a few feet away. Levi got to his feet alone, swatting away helping hands and limping over to Erwin.

"That was probably the longest I have ever been in 3DMG. Almost seven hours of flying around fighting and I arrive at this shit hole?"

Erwin laughed, slapping Levi's shoulder.

"C'mon, 'headquarters' are this way, but I wouldn't expect much." Levi followed Erwin, leaving Eren and the rest of the squad looking lost. Mikasa suggested a meal and sleep, which they gladly accepted, and by midnight they were lying in beds that, although made purely out of wood and only padded with a layer of leaves, felt like lying on clouds.

Eren lay awake for a while, feeling empty. Levi hadn't spoken to him since they'd arrived at the base, and that worried him. Had he somehow injured himself? Suddenly the door to his little hut creaked open, and a dark shape entered, shutting the door behind him. Eren stiffened, fear paralyzing him for a minute, but as a hand caressed his face he recognised the rough skin and tender touch.

"Levi?" he whispered. No reply. The sound of material falling to the floor and the clink of a harness dropping pierced the night for a second, and then Eren felt a warm body press against his. "Levi." He stated, and cuddled closer. Levi let out a low hum of contentment before putting his arms around the brunette and falling asleep.