Move Your Feet in Time, Put Your Hand in Mine (J. Lennon)

1964

The screaming girls outside the house were insane. If you went outside, you feared it would deafen you. John was fed up with it, you could tell. His hair was a complete mess and his glasses were thrown lazily on his face. There were bags under his eyes. He was tired. So, so tired. There was music coming from the record player in the corner of the room—Buddy Holly. He'd turned it down before answering the door.

You hadn't been in his house since you two had fought. Something small and insignifiant had turned into an hour-long shouting match and had ended with him telling you to leave. So you had. You'd left and hadn't ever come back. Not until he'd called you. By now, you could barely even remember what you'd been fighting about. Until this morning, you had been sure that he'd already slept with a hundred other women and that he was completely through with you.

The house looked just as much a mess as John. It looked like he hadn't cleaned since you'd left. It looked like he'd just let everything pile up in between trips to tour.

Even though his face was tired and his hair was a mess, his suit was still perfectly smooth. He saw your eyes scan the room and suddenly he looked self-conscious of it. He turned away so you couldn't see his face, moving the curtains aside and looking out the window. "Fuck all of 'em," he grumbled. "What's a man gotta do to get some bloody privacy?"

He turned back towards you, scratching the back of his neck. "You can sit," he said, gesturing to the couch. You didn't move.

"Look, I wanted to say I'm sorry," he said. He hated dealing with feelings. It was so much easier for him to let it bubble up inside. It was so much easier for him to avoid conflict and pretend that nothing happened, but when it came to what happened between you two, he couldn't avoid it. He couldn't forget about it. He needed you just as much as you needed him. "I'm such a dick, I know, but I...I want you to forgive me. I know you probably don't want to but...please? I want to make it up to you, y/n." He had a deep look of desperation in his eyes, and it made you think hard about his words.

"John, look, I can't even remember what we were fighting about," you said. "Let's just...start over, okay? I forgive you if you forgive me."

A smile lifted the corners of his lips and it seemed like it hadn't been there in months...years, even. You smiled too. Everything felt right. Surely there were other things you two needed to discuss, but the Buddy Holly record in the corner began to play "Everyday" and you forgot all about it.

John moved closer to you, gently taking your hands and spinning you in time with the music. Then, you moved even closer, putting your arms around his neck and taking in the scent of him all around you, one that you'd so sorely missed.

♫ ♫ ♫

This is based off of a song by the Lumineers called "Elouise" :) go check it out because it's a very lovely little song🥴