Boys Are Funny That Way (J. Lennon)

1959

You had known John Lennon as the bully that lived down the street pretty much all your life. You had moved into the house next to him one week shy of your eighth birthday and he immediately made his presence known.

His aunt came by your house with him. He acted shy when the adults were around, but when left alone, he turned quite sour. He would tug on your "pretty" hair despite your pleas for him not to and would mock you to the point of tears. When you began to tear up he would stop quick because he "hadn't meant to hurt your feelings."

Things hadn't gotten better when you learned that he would be going to the same school as you, in the same grade you were in.

First thing on your very first day, he crowded around with his friends and out his arm around you, exclaiming, "hey, neighbor."

"Stop, John," you had said.

You two were now seventeen. He was a relatively bad student, while you were the "preppy know-it-all," as said by him.

He continued to talk to you against your wishes.

You had brought it up to your mother multiple times, but she dismissed the claims, saying that his aunt would never allow it, but today she finally said something new.

"He still does? Maybe he likes you, y/n." She raised her eyebrows and laughed.

You gagged. "That's gross."

"Boys are funny that way, love, you'll see."

She had no doubt in this statement.

You had briefly dated his best friend, Paul, early last year and you had asked him multiple times why John did such things and Paul had only said, "I don't know, love. It's just how he is. He actually thinks you're really nice."

You scoffed. "He has a funny way of showing it."

And he did. Every time you were with Paul, you'd catch John staring at the two of you, a hard look on his face, like he could snap his best friend in half.

Paul had broken up with you, and though you wouldn't admit it, the feelings were mutual. You two were still friends, though, and that often brought you into contact with John. John seemed oddly relieved when you and Paul had broken up though.

You didn't think about this much anymore. You were over Paul and hated to say you didn't not care at all about John.

You tried not to think about it. Your small disagreements weren't really acknowledged in the hallways at school. You two walked home together because you were neighbors and he often teased you, but you could tell it was lighthearted.

This was routine for you two, until one day.

"Hey, y/n."

You turned to him. "Yes, John?"

"Do you hate me?"

You raised your eyebrows at him, an incredulous look on your face. You laughed. "No, I do not hate you."

He smirked smugly.

"But you're definitely not my favorite person." You smirked back.

"Now, c'mon, you don't mean that, do ye, love?"

"You wish I didn't."

"I'm sorry for teasing you."

You looked at him again. "Oh, I bet you are."

"The truth is, I only really did it so I could try and deny how I really felt."

You furrowed your brow.

What was wrong with him?

"I always thought you were so pretty," he admitted. You rolled your eyes. "No, I really did and I just really think I went about it the wrong way."

"Well, you definitely did that."

"I'm sorry, y/n."

"I heard you the first time, you sap," you replied. "You're forgiven." Reluctantly.

"Well I hope we can start over then." He extended a hand. "I'm John Lennon."

You shook his hand skeptically. "I'm y/n y/l/n."

Instead of letting go, he guided you home with your hands intertwined and later admitted more feelings that you couldn't deny feeling yourself.