Ice Skating (C. Watts)

1964

"Where are we going, Charlie?" you asked for the third time, looking out the car window in anticipation. It was Christmas Eve and Charlie had taken you out on a date, but he hadn't told you where exactly you were going. The two of you had just gotten married a mere two months ago and you were undoubtedly still in the honeymoon phase of your marriage and you weren't sure if it was really ever going to end. You were both madly in love with one another and had practically been inseparable since your wedding day.

This, however, was quite out-of-character for Charlie. He was bad at keeping secrets and usually, he'd have caved and told you where you were headed by now, but he really seemed to be holding out today. You found it endearing, though. He really did look like he was going to burst out and say it any moment, but he managed to hold his tongue to keep it a surprise for you. Whatever it was he had planned, he looked very, very excited about it.

"Just wait!" he said in a bubbly voice. "You know I'm bad at keeping surprises a secret. Help me out a little here."

You giggled and sunk back into the seat next to him. For a moment, you were able to fall silent and watch the scenery go by around the car. Finally, you saw Charlie pull into a park.

"What are we doing here?" you asked with a smile.

"We're going ice skating," he said with a wide grin.

"We're what?" you asked with a smile.

"We're going to ice skate!" he replied.

You giggled. "But I suck at ice skating," you replied, wrinkling your nose teasingly.

"It's alright," he responded. "I'll help you." He smiled before opening his door and climbing out. You reached beside you to get your purse, and when you turned back, Charlie was opening your door with a handsome smile on his face and his hand outstretched for you to take it.

You accepted his help and he led you down towards a stand that was set up where you could buy some ice skates to go skating.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I laughed as we waited in line.

Charlie nodded happily. "Of course, it is! We're gonna have so much, I promise!"

Once you two had gotten your skates, you sat down on a bench to put them on your feet. Charlie had his on much quicker than you. You were still attempting to tie the laces when he stood up.

When you finally got it, you looked up at him nervously.

"Are you sure about this?" you asked him sheepishly, your face turning red. You really weren't good at ice skating.

He nodded abruptly. "Yes! Of course, I am." He reached forward and motioned for you to take his hand.

You gratefully accepted the help and stumbled to your feet. You made your way, hand-in-hand, to the ice and Charlie stepped on, the sudden slippery surface under his feet seeming to not faze him in the slightest. Carefully and nervously, you stepped onto the ice next to him, immediately slipping and nearly falling.

You grabbed onto Charlie as if your life depended on it, fighting to steady yourself as fast as possible.

Charlie chuckled and helped you out. When you were finally upright, Charlie looked you in the eyes.

"I'm gonna help you move, okay?" he asked.

You gave him a doubtful look. "You sure?" you asked nervously.

He nodded and carefully instructed you on how to move and carefully tugged you along. You wobbled precariously, but didn't fall so much this time.

"See, that was good!" he said happily and you laughed.

Within maybe an hour-and-a-half, you were able to move around somewhat-stably and you guys both stayed out there on the ice until you couldn't feel your fingers and you were so hungry you had to go.

All in all, it was a good date.