Hawaii is Waiting for Us (P. Townshend)

1969

When your boyfriend, Pete Townshend, had surprised you with a vacation to Hawaii following the end of The Who's latest tour, you were over the moon.

You spent all of today on a plane. It was about ten at night when you finally landed. You were jolted awake by the voice of a stewardess barking at everyone to get ready to get off. Your head was against the window of the plane, Pete's head resting against your side. You both sat up warily when your slumber was interrupted. You'd slept a few hours, but you were still exhausted. It would be hours ahead back where you lived in London, you knew. That's why you'd left at the time you did. So you could actually sleep through the night when you did finally get here.

Once the plane finally landed, you watched as all of the exhausted passengers filed off with their carry-on bags, chatting tiredly about the paradise they'd just landed in. You managed to peek around in the midst of your fatigue, catching palm trees outside illuminated by what little moonlight you could get in the spot you were in.

You found Pete grinning at the curiosity in your eyes, and you found it in you to blush, too tired to try and hide it.

You two found your way out of the airport and to the hotel you'd be staying at in just under fifteen minutes, barely putting down your stuff before you fell into bed, curled up close together, and fell asleep.

♫ ♫ ♫

The next morning, you woke up energized. There was light pouring into the room through the open curtains on the balcony window. You let your eyes adjust to the light as you say up, hearing Pete's light snores coming from next to you. The air circulating through the room was cold, so you laid back down, making sure you were as close to Pete as possible, to keep warm until he woke up too.

You didn't lay there long. After about fifteen minutes, you felt his arms close around you and you popped your resting eyes back open to see him smiling at you sleepily.

"Hawaii," he said jokingly. "It's waiting."

"For us." He slipped out of the bed and took your hand to pull you up with him.

A few minutes later, you were running around on the soft, white sand of the beach, chasing each other. Pete managed to catch you from behind and you squirmed to get out of his grip as the two of you broke into a fit of uncontrollable laughter.

You both collapsed by the edge of the water and laid there a moment to catch your breath. Then, you sat up, and Pete followed.

"What's the cheesiest thing that would make you puke if you saw it?" you asked him with a sideways smirk.

He gave you a skeptical look, and you stood up. You went just far enough away from the water that the sand was still wet, but was in no danger of getting soaked again for the time being.

Carefully, you began to run your fingers through the sand. He stood up to see what you were writing. You continued in silence, and he waited patiently as you finished, smiling with a little eye roll as you finished.

Drawn in the sand by you were your names surrounded by a heart. The cheesiest thing you could think of.