Christmas Magic (M. Jagger)

1976

"Mummy! Daddy!" You and Mick barely had time to react before you felt two small children jump up onto your bed.

"What time is it?" Mick asked groggily as you sat up, catching your two daughters' bright and eager eyes through the darkness.

"Not late enough," you quipped, smiling at the girls, ages six and three. "What is it?" you asked them, feeling Mick sit up behind you, though you knew exactly why they were here.

"Santa came!" your youngest, Caroline, said happily. "Come see all the presents!" They hopped down off the bed and bounded out of the room, towards the staircase at the end of the hallways where you could see the Christmas tree lights shining from the living room.

Mick turned to you before you two got up, looking you up and down. "How are you feel this morning?" he asked. You were six-and-a-half months along with you and Mick's third child and—well—you hadn't really been doing so well recently.

Today, however, you felt perfectly fine. Nothing could spoil the Christmas fun. It was like magic.

"I feel great," you assured him with a smile and he bent down to place a kiss on the top of your belly.

"Just think," he said as he pulled away, keeping his hands on either side of your belly. "Next Christmas, we'll have three little ones."

You smiled happily, the thought thrilling you. "Yes, we will," you responded. As if on cue, you felt a little jab in your stomach as the baby inside of you kicked. You chuckled. "I think the baby's excited," you told Mick with a laugh.

He leaned over with a smile to try and kiss you, but you were interrupted just as he was within a mere two inches of your face.

"Mummy? Daddy? Are you coming?" you heard your eldest daughter, Annabelle, ask from downstairs.

Mick chuckled and kissed you quickly. "We should get down there," he told you before standing up. He raced over to your side of the bed and offered you his hand to help you stand. You accepted his help with a giggle.

"Merry Christmas, Mick," you said happily.

"Merry Christmas, my love," Mick responded with a dopey grin.