The Concept of Parenthood (B. Jones)

1967

The week-old baby, Ruth, was squealing again. She always seemed to do this when Brian was away. He was due to be back any minute, you knew. You didn't know how to help the child. She was just so distraught.

Brian also didn't know what it was about him that the little girl loved. Once he picked her up, he just couldn't put her down because she'd start right back up when he did.

You heard the door open and you rushed over to see Brian stepping through.

"Having trouble there, y/n?" he asked, an amused smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

You rolled your eyes. "Not in the slightest. She won't stop," you said, practically begging for help.

He sat down his guitar case and shrugged off his jacket, laying it down by the door of your shared flat. Once the little squirming Ruth caught sight of her father, she calmed down, only whimpering slightly.

Brian carefully took the bundle out of your arms with a happy smile down at her. He may not have admitted it aloud, but he was so proud to be her father. You knew he loved her so much, and that made you so happy.

"She loves you," you said with a light chuckle. "I don't know what happened to me."

He smiled up at you. "Nothing, lovie," he answered. "She just needs some time to warm up is all, I'm sure of it."

He began to rock her gently, humming a little song under his breath quietly, almost inaudible.

Neither of you really knew what you were doing. You were first-time parents. Parenthood was a new concept, but you were getting by, you supposed. You were undoubtedly scared nine months ago, but the nerves faded out and was replaced by first joy, then pride. You couldn't be more proud of your little family.

"Look at her," Brian cooed after a moment. He came over and turned to where you could peer down at the little, now sleeping, baby in his arms. "And she's all ours."

You giggled. "That she definitely is." You and Brian just smiled at one another a moment, forgetting everything else existed. Then he bent down and kissed you gently on the forehead.

"I'll lay her down," he whispered and turned around and tiptoeing dramatically towards the nursery.

You just smiled to yourself, happier than you'd ever felt.