Silly Feat (R. Taylor)

1966

Roger Taylor was the "cool" guy in school. The one that every girl wanted to be with. He could have any girl in the entire school that he wanted, and it was clear he took advantage of it. He looked like he'd slept with every one of them. Somehow, you'd ended up in every single one of his classes this year. You saw him all day.

He tried often to strike up conversation with you, perhaps only to get into your pants. You weren't as gullible as your classmates, though, and there was no way you were going to fall for his childish flirting. He was handsome, you couldn't deny, but he was too much of a playboy for you to feel anything for him.

He never really paid attention in any of his classes, until it came time for biology. He seemed to have a knack for that class. He was the know-it-all in that class. Like biology, he was also a know-it-all when it came to sarcasm. He could insult you in two seconds flat, without hesitation or flattering. You had to admit, it was quite impressive. It was entertaining when he'd snap at the girls following at his heels, leaving them in rank embarassment. You couldn't help but laugh when that happened...only becasue you knew they deserved it, though!

He was the school baddie. Silly feat, Mr. Taylor.

Currently, it was a Friday. You were sat in your last class of the day, math. You hated this class. The teacher was such a freak and he never really taught the class anything. Roger was in the desk behind you, in the far right corner. Every now and then, you'd catch something hitting you in the back. The entire room was silent. Your teacher was sitting at his desk, poring over some papers that you didn't have to look at to know had absolutely nothing to do with math.

You tried to stay focused on the work in front of you, but you were so antsy to simply get out of the room, that it sent you over the edge. As you felt something else hit you, you snapped your neck around to face the blond and smirking boy behind you. You looked anything but impressed.

"What are you doing?" you snapped in a hissing whisper.

"Meet me behind the school when this shit class is over?" he asked with a smug smile.

"In your dreams, Taylor," you scoffed, going to turn back around, glancing at your airhead teacher to make sure I hadn't been caught.

Ten minutes later, the bell rang and as you were leaving, Roger stumbled up to you.

"What?" you asked without turning around.

"Maybe you didn't hear me right," he said.

You stopped walking and turned around abruptly. He almost ran into you. "Oh, believe me," you responded. "I heard you loud and clear." You twisted your face mockingly, crossing your arms. "Was I being impolite?" you snapped. "Well, thank you for the offer, but I must respectfully decline."

He looked everything but impressed. "Well, aren't you a little ray of sunshine," he muttered.

You rolled your eyes and turned to walk away from him. By now, the initial rush of students trying to get out of the building had died down and there were only a few people wandering the halls.

"Wait!" you heard from behind you.

You threw your head back in annoyance, but turned around nevertheless. "You've never been told no in your life?" you asked.

"No, but—," he admitted as he caught up.

"There's a first time for everything," you quipped, turning back around. You really just wanted to get home.

"Maybe I've ruined the chance already," he said in a different, more normal voice, causing you to turn back around out of sheer curiosity. The look on his face was now solemn and sincere, almost let-down even. "But I'd really like to go out sometime."

You didn't know whether or not to believe him, so you just gave him a beckoning look, telling him to go on.

He was clearly caught off guard. "I just think you're a really nice person," he said...nervously? "I'm done with the one-night encounters," he admitted. "They get tedious every now and then."

"Mhm," you responded skeptically. "Right."

"No, I'm serious," he said. "But I get it if you don't want to." He shrugged. "I've been a bit of a dick."

"Yeah, you have," you responded and he blushed. "Maybe we can work something out, though."

He perked up. "Yeah?" he inquired hopefully. You nodded. "So, maybe sometime tomorrow?"

You went over your schedule to mae sure you were free. "I'm free after noon," you said.

He straightened his back and smiled. "Well, how about that diner down the road from here?" he asked. "At 12:30." He looked giddy at the idea of an actual date. It was painfully clear he'd never been on a proper one.

You nodded. "That'll work," you replied, turning to leave. "See you tomorrow, Roger," you called as you left.

"See you tomorrow!" he called excitedly.

♫ ♫ ♫

C l i c h e