Home Demos (P. Townshend)

1972

It was Christmas morning and you were with your boyfriend, Pete, in his flat.

He had his hands covering your eyes as he guided you out of the bedroom and into the living room. "Pete," you giggled. "Is this really necessary?"

"Why, of course, it is, my love," he replied happily. "I don't want you to peek."

He finally gripped your shoulders, telling you to stop. Then, he patted you on your head and signaled for you to open your eyes. You saw all the presents under the tree and smiled.

"Now, sit," he commanded and you listened, sitting down next to the tree. He plopped himself down across from you with a grin on his face. "Alright. Where shall we start?"

"Uhhh...." You looked around at the room. "Wherever you think is a good place to--."

"Well, start with this," Pete interjected energetically. He was smiling at you like an excited child as he held out a thin, square present in his hands.

You smiled happily and took it from him. He scooted even closer to you, leaning upon his knees. You studied the present gently, admiring the tag that he'd written your name on in his neat handwriting.

"Open it!" he pressed.

"Oh, alright!" you replied with a laugh. You flipped it over and carefully pulled the paper back further, revealing a white record sleeve. You pulled the rest of the paper off and revealed handwriting on the front.

With Love, From Me To You, it read on the front in Pete's handwriting. Then, you flipped it over and saw a tracklisting.

"I made some home recordings of me singing your favorite songs," Pete explained as you read over all the songs in awe, "And I had someone press it onto vinyl for me. so that you can listen to it whenever you want."

You spotted the final song and didn't recognize it. It was simply your name.

"I wrote the last one," he added. "I wrote it about you."

You felt happy tears well up in your eyes as you smiled at him, reaching over to wrap your arms around his neck. "Pete, I love it!" you exclaimed.

"You do?" he asked.

"Of course, I do!"

"I'm glad," he joked. "Because it was a pain getting someone to press it." He smirked and you laughed.

"Sorry to be such a pain," you teased, rolling your eyes.

"It's okay," he responded. "The pretty little smile on your face right now makes it more than worth it."