I Knew You Deserved Better (R. Daltrey)

[𝙍𝙚𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙩]

alicemaydaltrey requested a Rog fluff, so I am bringing y'all this today🥰 enjoy!

♫ ♫ ♫

1961

Tears were falling from your eyes as you stepped out of the school and went towards your car. You didn't care if you were about to be skipping your last class. You were distraught.

You threw open the car door and climbed in, resting your head against the steering wheel and letting out a pitiful and hefty sob.

You'd just caught your boyfriend, Jack, cheating on you...for the third time this year. You were so fed up with it, but you knew deep down that he'd come apologizing and pretending it would never happen again, and you were naïve enough to believe it. It had been going on for months now, that cycle. You wanted out.

Just as you were feeling bad for yourself and accepting the fact that you'd probably be back in his arms by this time tomorrow, there was a knock on your car window. You looked up in confusion and saw your best friend, Roger, peering in at you. When he saw you look up, he motioned for you to open the door.

You felt the sudden urge to hide, as if you were embarrassed for him to see you in the state you were in. That was preposterous, of course, because he'd seen you in way worse states than this, but it suddenly still seemed like a priority. Nonetheless, you unlocked the door so he could climb in next to you.

Once he was situated in the passenger seat and his door was closed, he studied the tears in your eyes with a sad look in his eyes. "He did it again, didn't he?"

You were embarrassed and ashamed, and that left you unwilling to respond. Roger had wanted you of this a lot and you always swore that he was wrong, but you were the one that continued to be proven wrong. You weren't sure what Roger thought of you anymore. You were sure that he was annoyed and upset that you wouldn't listen to him, but you didn't want to think of him being mad at you, and the thought of that made your tears fall faster.

That was all the confirmation Roger needed. He slumped back in the seat as you leaned your head forward again. He bit his lip, unaware of what to say.

"I told you so" would have been mean, right?

"Y/n," he began gently. "Break up with him for good, please. I hate to see you in so much pain." His voice sounded desperate. Oh, so desperate.

The fact caused you to look up. You met his blue eyes and suddenly, you were looking at him differently. You saw how deeply he cared for you. It was printed perfectly in his expression. There was love and care hidden behind his eyes and now it was impossible for you to ignore.

You were so unhappy with Jack, and suddenly you knew why. It really wasn't because he'd cheated on you more than anyone ever had in your life. It was because you cared about someone else more than you did him, and that someone was sitting right next to you, his blond hair gelled up with Dippity-Do to hide the natural curls in it, his thin lips parted, and his eyebrows arched slightly in concern. It was Roger you cared about, not Jack. The realization left you momentarily silent and surprised.

"Y/n, did you hear me?"

There was his voice again. It brought your head from space and back to earth. You jerked your attention to him and looked at him in confusion. "I heard you," you responded quietly.

He nodded awkwardly, looking down at his lap for a moment, but then looking back up in surprise when you reached across the console and wrapped your arms around him. "Roger, I love you," slipped out of your mouth and he knew you didn't mean that you loved him as a friend, and that left you both stunned.

"Fuck, y/n, I've always loved you," he responded with a small chuckle. "Do you know how much of a bloody pain it was to watch you get yourself hurt because of that bastard? I knew you deserved better."

You pulled back, a smirk making its way onto your tear-stained face. "And you think that you are better?" you teased and he turned red. "I'm only kidding. And I—I'm sorry. I'm sorry I was so blind. You've always been nothing but kind and I guess...I guess I was too desperate to feel loved that I completely overlooked the person that was actually making me feel that way. God, I'm an idiot, aren't I?"

Roger chuckled and shook his head. "Not at all."

You sat back in your seat, looking at your hands and wondering what the hell had just happened. Since when were you in love with your best friend? How could that ever end in a good way?

You weren't sure, but as long as it was Roger, you had a voice inside telling you that everything was going to be alright.