𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣𝟨

Cover art for this chapter made by: caleo4lyfe. Go check them out!

Wilbur Soot always liked music. Whether it was learning it himself, listening to different genres and songs on the radio, or writing his own. Wilbur saw music as one of those unique sources of media that could tell stories in ways that other medias can't. Sure, painting can put words into drawings but music can turn those words into obsessive rhythms and catchy deep song lyrics.

Wilbur was gifted his first guitar when he was 13, and he had never let it go since. It was no suprise really that the guitar had somehow followed him into the afterlife, it was apart of his soul at this point. It's funny actually. All the Christians that would approach Wilbur when he was younger told him that, 'You can't take materialistic items into Heaven, you should focus all your energy on serving your Lord and saviour Jesus Christ.' They are so very wrong, if only he could go see them now and give them a big middle finger.

But this isn't about religion, it's about music. One of the things Wilbur liked to do when he was alive was to walk around the streets of Brighton at night and find little alleyways and lakes to sit and play music at. He couldn't really do that anymore however. Techno was the first to try to break out of the house, it didn't work. This was like those stupid house arrest plots in movies to bond the two main characters together so they can eventually fuck or something. Expect no fucking or romantic love and just friendship :D

Those little excursions are what Wilbur really missed about living. He could still play his guitar but he missed being able to go sightsee and play music at the same time. It was selfish but Wilbur never really branded himself as selfless so who cares.

Wilbur may not be good at selflessness, but he is quite good at thinking outside the box. His first plan was to hire someone to build a shed or something next to the forest but still on the property of the house. Of course, turns out it costs a lot to hire that, and Tommy and Tubbo weren't too eager to spend money on a second shed. His next plan was to find a way out, he gave up pretty quickly with that one.

His third and current plan was maybe the stupidest thing he's thought of. "Okay Tubbo, I'll take your phone. You can leave now. Tommy, you go in the forest and facetime me." Wilbur explained, shooing Tubbo out of his own room after unlocking his phone. "This is a shit idea, Wilbur. What are you gonna do when I get there? Just look at it through a screen?" Tommy layed back down on the bed, lanky legs dangling off the edge as he fiddled with his phone. "No you idiot, that wouldn't help. Can you get that box out from under the bed." Wilbur sighed, waiting for the child to do as he asked.

"How and where the did you get a fucking VR headset from?" Tommy dropped the cardboard box onto the bed, opening up the flaps and taking out the VR headset. "Amazon." Wilbur said, taking out the headset and making sure everything was working as intended. "Well I figured that much but where did you get the money for this?" "Tubbo left his credit card out in the kitchen."

"Well fair enough then. But that still doesn't explain why you have it." Tommy asked, taking the headset to check it out himself. "I'll connect Tubbo's phone to this headset and then boom, it's like I'm actually in the forest without ever actually being there myself!" Wilbur explained as he somehow linked up the phone to the headset. "I don't think that's possible, Wil- Okay nevermind you've already done it." Tommy knows full well that it's not easy, maybe even impossible, to link that up but somehow it's working. "Phil taught me." Oh okay nevermind that makes sense.

"Well then, I'll just sit in the forest for like 20 minutes. Will that be enough time?" Tommy stood up off the bed, taking his blue puffer coat off the door hanger and draping it over his body. "Yeah that should be fine. Just pretend you're filming a vlog or whatever."

"Oh Will, I love vlogging. I may be a Minecraft Youtuber but I'm a vlogger by heart."

× × × × × × × ×

Wilbur was very glad that he challenged himself when he was younger and, alive, to play certain chords and songs on the guitar while not being able to see. He had gotten quite bored with just casually playing and wanted to add some spice.

If Techno or Phil were to walk in at some point, I think they'd be quite confused to see Wilbur sat on a bed with his guitar in one hand and a vr headset covering his head. To be fair I think anyone would be a bit perplexed. But Wilbur didn't really mind, he was in a world of his own at the moment and planned to savour every bit of freedom he could grasp.

"Are we almost there yet, Tommy?" Wilbur asked, subconsciously fiddling with the strings and plucking a random tune. "Almost, there's a little clearing up here I think you'd enjoy." Tommy explained through the call, camera shaking slightly as he ducked under one of the random tree branches.

Forests are always beautiful places, this and the sea were Wilbur's go to places to go and relax. "Here we are, I'll just plop you up here big man." Tommy reached up to a low hanging tree branch and placed the phone there, angling it so it lay there comfortably while also getting a good view of the forest floor below. God this was beautiful. Of course it wasn't perfect, unlike real life or other VR stuff there was only one camera angle but it was still better than staring at png photos on a computer monitor.

Wilbur fiddled around with his guitar, placing his fingers in the right position and placing the pick on the strings. His fingers danced along the instrument, soft music filling the room and the forest through the phone call. Soft hums accompanied the strums, occasional words thrown in when Wilbur felt fit. His throat was still quite sore from just waking up and didn't want to strain it without proper warm up.

Wilbur played song after song, brown eyes examining every bit of the forest. The leaves falling from the trees and collecting on the muddy floor, the trees blocking out everything and creating a mix of greens and browns all around him, occasional lumps of leaves seperating and dancing around from the push of a wind. It all looked fake, yet Wilbur knew it was real and reveled in every moment in it.

The hums and strums soon came to a halt, Wilbur breathing in and out as Tommy stood up on his tiptoes to retrieve the phone. "You finished?" He asked, his blonde hair and bright blue eyes covering the entire camera. "Yes I am. And take your face out of the camera, I don't wanna look at you in VR, it's even worse in real life." Wilbur joked about, slipping the headset off his head and placing the guitar back on her stand.

God he was tired, and it was barely even lunch time.

"I'm going to hang up and take a nap, that alright or do you want me to stay on call?" Wilbur asked, feeling his body get heavier by the moment; probably due to all the strain he had put on his non-existent body in such a short time. "I'm a big man, I don't need you to supervise me!" Wilbur chuckled again, "Okay, child. Speak to you later? I'll teach you and Tubbo some more guitar stuff as a thank you." Wilbur smiled and ended the call.